storing equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RX7, Dec 7, 2002.

1. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

Where do you guys store your equipment overnight and in the off season? I rent a 10' by 20' storage unit to keep a trailer and some extra equipment in. Do any of you have an enclosed trailer that you keep a lock on and park it in an open area. I want an enclosed trailer so that I don't have to worry about thieves, but I worry about how easy it would be for someone to just cut the lock and hook it up to their truck and take off. I could also just keep the trailer hooked up to my truck, but then someone could break in to my truck and take the truck and the trailer. How do you fellas store your equipment? Thanks for anyone's replys.
  2. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

We use a enclosed trailer and love it.:) At the end of every day we just unhitch and we are done:D :D . You can get a ball mount lock that would make your trailer unavailabe to anyone. It sounds like you park in a bad area. There was a post on here a while ago about locks someone showed these great ones for the doors on an enclosed. Open trailers are open to the weather and theives , I have heard to many horror stories from guys who have had everthing taken from their open tailers. To risky for me. There is also a radar system I recently saw that putsmall chip in your trailer , if your trailer moves even a couple of feet it sends a signal to the company who notifies the local police and sets of your cell phone or beeper . I will try to find more info. I think it cost about $20 a month.:blob4:
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If my equipment is not on my trailer attached to my truck it is in my 16X24 shop. When the equipment is on the trailer the ZTR is locked with a ABUS 900 series lock and chain. Ordinary bolt cutters will not go through any part of it. My walkbehind is then attached to the ZTR with the same kind of lock. I also have kill switches on both machines in case someone does get through the locks. If someone should manage to defeat all of my security systems then everything is insured for replacement value. Did I mention that the truck has the loudest, most God awful sounding alarm system every heard? If they were to get past the locks, figure out where the kill switches are and start the machines then the alarm would sound the instant they tried to move them.

I sleep very well.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Heller Landscaping wrote:

You can get a ball mount lock that would make your trailer unavailabe to anyone.

Wrong answer.

The guys who would really want your trailer are getting hi-tech. They are now using a quick attach "A" frame that just clamps to "locked" trailer tongues. You're going to have to do better than that. You can buy a boot for one of the wheels or you can get a lock that goes through the wheels from one side of the trailer to the other that will slow them down a lot.
  5. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

That radar system sounds like it could work in case every other precautionary method failed. I think that a boot for one of the trailer wheels is also a good idea. Thanks for everyone's input.
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Let them take it, I'm plenty insured and have better things to worry about.
  7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Living in the "Safest city in America" helps.
    But I still use a lock on the toung & park it in my locked & secured garage every night with a couple motion lights & park something in front of it. Off season I park it in the back of the garage & put tons of things in front of it. Someone is alway up arround here, so we would hear it... Not telling other security features for the theif to read. I keep my plow in the garage in front of the trailer this time of year. The rest of the year my plow sits in my backyard. I'm not worried about someone driving arround my neighbors house, down the hill, behind both of our properties & taking it w/o waking someone up. By the noise, lights, moving the tractor, logs & breaking the logging chain.

The quick attach a frame sucks...
    Radar would work great unless thay just took every thing off the trailer, I'd put it on a mower instead.
    Trailer wheel lock is pretty easy to get arround but takes time to remove the wheel & stick a cheep doughnut on...
  8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

There's only one way in and out of the holler. And, if'n a thief gets past me and my shotgun, there's the dogs.