1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Storing Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Nov 23, 2003.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

What are the best ways to go about storing equipment to the winter months?:help:
    Thanks for any replies
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Clean everything, especially under desks, Drain oil, hydro, and fill with clean oil to sit over winter. Clean/replace air filter. Drain gas or add fuel stabilizer and run through machine a bit to get into carb so fuel in carb wont break down.
  3. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

change oil filter, fuel filter and air filter, i top off tanks add sta-bil power wash (not spindle area) then i run for 5-10 min to mix sta-bil then i park them in the garage for winter, they are ready for spring
  4. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

GREAT. I'll have to pick up the things I need to do that soon. THANKS
  5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I clean everything and change all belts and fluids, then run out all gasoline.
  6. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Hey should you shut off the fuel valve if you have gas in the tank mixed with sta-bil?
  7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think you need too, since the fuel that may be left in the carb could break down. even if you shut fuel valve off then let machine run out of gas could still be fuel left in carb which could gum it up. Plus most unit have fuel pumps so gas shouldnt transfer unless machine is running
  8. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

I always like to shut off the fuel because there is less fuel that can go bad in carb. In my opinion I would rather have a little bit of gummy fuel in the bottom of the carb bowl then throughout the entire carb. Keep in mind though that you still need to mix in sta-bil into your gas and run it for awhile. If the carb does go bad it is not the end of the world. It usually takes me $8 and 25 min to fix a bad carb, no big deal.

I would not use a pressure washer on your mower if I were you. Especially mowers without many zerts on them.
  9. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

Something else you can do to get most of the fuel out of the carb is loosen the bolt on the bottom of the carb. No need to take it out all the way, just enough to make it drain.
  10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone go out and fire up the equipment every so often? This seems to work well for me...