Storing mower outside for winter.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by oldmower, Dec 15, 2007.

1. oldmower

oldmower LawnSite Member

I'm storing my Bobcat mower with a Kawasaki 460v fb outside covered with a tarp for the winter. I ran it dry of gas. Should I open the vent on the gas cap or close it?

2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

You will no doubt get various opinions on that. Mine is, store it with a completely full tank this wont allow any or very little air in the tank. No air exchange = no condensation. The gas will last til spring no problem. If you want more piece of mind add fuel stabilizer. And run the engine long enough to change out the gas in the float bowl with fresh stabilized fuel.Your machine will thank you by starting easily in the spring.

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I am with barnard on this one.... full tank of gas and a good amount of stabil lube all linkage and moving parts. I myself start all my equipment periodically throughout the winter. Bring batteries inside CLOSE VENT CAPS

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you get hit good with the snow we did in MA.

5. oldmower

oldmower LawnSite Member

No snow. A little snow Sat. night, then changed to rain and wind Sun. Got the Ariens ready though.
    Mike

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeh, coat the blades with something to keep them from rusting, wd-40 or even a rag soaked in used motor oil is good.