Storing vermicompost

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by wallzwallz, Mar 23, 2008.

1. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

How do you store vermicompost? I have 5 50lb boxes that just came in,what type container should be used? Should it be turned?

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

My experience is with bagged product. I've stored it both inside & out side for up to a year and have still had great results in tea making, top dressing and adding to planting mediums.
    Others may disagree, but I think most of the microbiology just goes to sleep & wakes up when they are introduced to an environment they like.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Typically the instructions read: " please store in a cool dry place"

If its a nice finished vermicompost most of biology is taking a little nappy until it is put into an environment that the biology likes. I don't think you need to worry about turning it, just keep it dry until you use it.

Vermicompost isn't real picky there are some tough dudes in there that will kick butt when applied to soil

I am curious though, what are you going to use it for?

4. wallzwallz

Thanks for the reply, they are really plastic bags in boxes, I opened the plastic on top, upon arrival. So you would just store in bag in the opened box until needed?

5. phasthound

Sounds like you got it from Ross Orner, good stuff.
    Yea, just open the bag, you'll be fine.

As Bill asked what are you using it for?

6. wallzwallz

7. wallzwallz

Phasthound, I bought from Sustainable Ag, the maker of the Earth brewer I bought used. I wanted to start w/ their products to get a feel for brewing. I probably won't have the vermicompost shipped from Oregon again but would have the nutrients shipped. I have to check my receipt to see how the prices compare to the link I posted of the local worm farm.

8. phasthound

I just went to the website. Holy smokes, $75 for a 50lb bag!!!!!!!! :eek:

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

At prices like that it is not hard to see why the "organic" movement is so slow.

10. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

The fresher the vermicompost the better, as long as it is truly digested (finished). I don't ever let mine dry out, although I have used dry castings that were microbially active enough to brew. Some organisms survive drying out, others do not. Some nematodes can achieve a dormant stage if dried slowly.

Michael, why not raise your own worms? Has that Earth Tea brewer got a water pump for circulation?

Tim