Storm clean ups

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by landscapedesignpros, May 5, 2013.

1. landscapedesignpros

landscapedesignpros LawnSite Senior Member

I have been debating for a while on getting into storm clean ups. I have a connection with some claims reps and was wondering how other people do it? Ive run a landscaping and tree company in my town for 10 years but would like to add to it by doing storm clean up when things are slower or just for a change of scenery and I can leave some of the guys in town to keep working. any thoughts or feed back would be great.
  2. HPI_Savage25

HPI_Savage25 LawnSite Member

I've never really advertised for it but a few times we have had a big storm I drive around and look for the messes. Quite a few times I would see a tree down or limb across a yard or driveway. I'd stop and knock on the door. Most of the times they want it up ASAP. I'd give them a price and more often than not I would get the job. An extra couple hundred bucks a day sure is nice.

Last July 4th my neighbor had a "limb" fall across his driveway and blocked them in. He called me up and wanted it gone ASAP. Told him $400 and he said come on. 8 hours later I was done and everyone was happy. Paid for my new chainsaw to
  3. Luke S.

Luke S. LawnSite Member

We will pick up jobs more cause of our seo then anything. Debris removal can be a pita, but it pays the bills. Having a pressure washer definitely helps land the jobs cause we can get more accomplished for the customer in one trip. We did a roof debris removal last week for like $450-500 I think... About 3-4 man hours so not too shabby
  4. jwklaudijr

jwklaudijr LawnSite Member

IF you have the proper connections, storm damage clean-up can do more than pay the bills. I own and operate a Tree Service in Cherry Hill NJ and we have done quite well during recent storms.
  5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

What do you consider the other right connections? Insurance companies?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. jwklaudijr

jwklaudijr LawnSite Member

Insurance Company connections are VERY RARE, most companies have policies forbidding them from recommending or referring companies. The best connections are Insurance Adjusters.