Storm Cleanup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Jan 16, 2007.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Thought about going and helping with the storm cleanups. Just wanting to pick up what has fell on the ground and load in a trailer. Just something fast and to make some extra cash. It won't take me too long to cut up some trees and limbs and throw them in a dump trailer. Just wanting to know if you would have to have a permit for this work or anything like that? Let me know if any of you guys have done this and what's the best way to go about doing it. Thanks for the help.

2. Cracker Station

Cracker Station LawnSite Member

Are you talking about the recent ice storm you guys had in Oklahoma? Sure you could make money hauling fallen debris from peoples yard. Charge so much for a trailer load. I wouldn't travel from your home area to do it though. Here in Mississippi after Katrina, there actually was no money to be made subbing, was definately money to be made doing it for homeowners.

3. wmtom

wmtom LawnSite Member

Hi live in Pensacola, Florida there isn't much in the way of storm clean up here. I have two friends who do storm clean-up. One of them can't find work and is doing new construction clean-up. The other is working for a contractor in the New Orleans doing storm clean up and demo work. The problem is the big buisness contractors are getting the contracts. Be careful spending alot of money to go chasing storm work.

Mike Thomas

4. ztrguy

from NE FL

Thanks guys for the posts. Actually, I just thought I would spend a couple of days doing some storm cleanup from the ice storm in the residential areas. Just going around asking if they want their yard cleaned up. Would you need a permit or anything for this work? I have the equipment just sitting here and I'm getting the winter boredom syndrom. Might as well make a few bucks if I can.

5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

My partner and I did clean up work here during the first wave of ice to hit the St. Louis area, late Nov.-early Dec. We did mostly our acc'ts and folks who stopped us as we hauled off. The city set up dump/drop sites that we could use. No permits required, but you had to be a city resident and not a commerical tree service company. After the first day they actually had uniformed police stationed at these sites checking. Good money though. We charged $50/manhour plus a hauloff fee. Biggest problem was getting the limbs out of the ice on the ground and not falling as you drug stuff to the truck.

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

At this point of winter I would be willing to travel a bit to do clean ups.

7. ztrguy

from NE FL

How would you go about finding out if a permit is required? I want to do what "The Captain" did in STL area. I want to help clean up the areas and make some winter cash. Please let me know if you have had experience doing this. Thanks!

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

If it's private property, I wouldn't think you'd need a permit to do a cleanup after a storm. It's no different than picking up the leaves which have fallen after a fall wind.

Of course, things like fallen trees around power lines, etc. are things you don't want to mess with.

I have "storm cleanups" right on the side of my truck.

I hauled off a fair amount of brush and fallen tree branches, and cut up a few downed trees.

I just estimate how long it will take, charge my hourly rate for that, then charge a dump fee(around 25-40 depending on the distance to dump) per trailer/truck load.

9. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

We too did ALOT of storm cleanup after the first wave of ice storms hit St.Louis a few weeks back. My partner and I charged $175 to load our 18 foot trailer, which usually took us an hour to load and then another 45 minutes to drive to the city dump site and unload. That storm got us alot of work by word of mouth and we probably ended up doing 30 homes for cleanup. Did a leaf job today from a tree removal customer due to the storm. Take advantage of your city dump site if you can, get a good chainsaw and go to town. Easy money and it only leads to other business in the spring!

10. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

ztrguy....

Call your public works office or who ever provides you waste (garbage) service to see if they will take contractor yard waste. They may restrict who can dump. Don't need to give a name, just ask.

Good Luck.