Storm washed away topsoil

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Scraper, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Last Friday I finish graded around a new pool installation as well as repaired ruts left from pool contractor trucks. Total job used 22 yards of topsoil for finish grading and repairing ruts. Saturday afternoon Tropical Storm Allison reformed and dumped nearly 10" across the region causing major washout of soil, straw and grass seed. No "Act of God" clause as there was no contract since it was for a friend of the family. I actually cut them a pretty good deal as it was. Fortunately I had left a couple bales of straw at bottom of swale which trapped soil, but need to reseed washed out areas. Was just wondering how you guys handle situations like this (i.e. customer pays, you eat the cost, "Act of God clause). Friday's forecast had no idea this thing was gonna dump like this. Fortunately they understand and I regraded and reseeded the washed out areas today for a small fee.

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I guarantee the things I can control.

I don't guarantee the things I can't.

3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would redo at cost, but that's defiantaly not a freebee.

Jim L

4. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

I would think that the customer would understand that it is not your fault. Make sure you explain to them before you start the the repair will probably cost at least as much as the install if not more.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Glen I would not charge them or any of our clients for that matter for the seed needed to reapir the washout.

HOWEVER, things such as soils and straw (unless you can buy bales for pennies on the dollar), have to be charged to them. I agree with Jim L that I would only charge them cost. If you can get the guys to work a saturday for the renovation I would charge the client what you have in it for the guys. If its a solo run, I would probably be inclined to eat it or at least try to recover 1/2 if possible of my time.

I think this is a situation if presented properly can make them assured that you are not at fault, and are being noble by not chargeing them twice for a job that was destroyed due to unforeseen adverse weather conditions above and beyond your control.

Usually they will work with you. if it looks like its a loser and is going to cost you money, then unfortunately they will have to hire another LCO to repair natures furey.

Just my nickle.
    Kris