1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Story about using contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by procut, May 11, 2006.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I see a lot of people on here talk about how they can't get people to sign contracts, ect. I my self actually had someone refuse to sign one of the first times I handed someone a contract, however, consider the following. Bid an apartment, talking to owner over the phone, he says, "will you mail me a contract to sign" Next bid, small office building, "manager says, where do I sign" Third, residential account, lady took the clipboard and pen right from my hand, and signed it before I even asked. In my expirience, people are expecting a contract to sign.
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i had one lady refuse to sign the contract (for lawn mowing only) . normally i would not service the property. it is one of 4 houses though that i have on that block. i told her, well then, i'll need 2 months worth of advance payments. she gave them to me. i made copies, stapled that to her contract, and filed it.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I do get a few ask for that, but about the same amount are relieved to find out there is nothing to sign... I'd say it's about 50 / 50, thou I do see a larger percentage willing to go for it than before, that could just as well be an indication of customers eager to get over on the Lco, so to speak. Word does get around, if that's what it's all about, it doesn't take customers long to figure out the tricks.

What I found with contracts is they all want more, after it's already signed they play the guilt thing on you, act like they'll cancel out via the clause or some other silly trick, then you get all worried and do as they wish. Where a contract might be a bit like guaranteed work, it's the same guarantee can be used as leverage against you, I don't feel as much the pressure of losing a 'thousand dollar contract' when I'm letting go of a 40-dollar per-cut lawn. That is not to say it doesn't take me long to figure out how much a 40-dollar / cut lawn is worth per year, either.

So it's really all just the same ole', same ole'.