straddle?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Clint, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i have a 12 foot trailer, and a metro 36", im trying to figure out if i can fit a lazer z hp on there lengthwise, well, i took the length measurements of both and came out to be like a foot too long, thats from tip to tip of both mowers added together.

my question is, can the front casters of the LZHP straddle the back of the ( i dont know what to call it, but the piece of metal you would bolt a sulky onto and your gears on a belt drive are right there, that big piece of metal ;) ) metro? or can the front casters fit under the back of the metro enough to fit it?

if i didnt make it clear enough just holler and ill try again, hehe, thanks
    clint

2. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Heh, ok, now on the width issue, i have 59 inches of width that i can drive up in that baby, the LZHP52" is like 63" wide i believe with the deflector down, i dunno if you can anwser this but how wide is the chute? if i took it off you think it would fit in 59" ?

i appreciate it
    clint

p.s. i really dont want to buy another trailer, believe what they say, buy it big the first time heh

3. K&RLAWNS

K&RLAWNS LawnSite Member

CLINT I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND DECIDED TO CURE IT BY ADDING A SIDE GATE AT THE FRONT OF MY TRAILER. THE SIDE GATE WILL ALLOW ME TO LOAD MY 37" RECYCLER ACROSS THE FRONT OF MY TRAILER THUS GIVING ME THE OPTION OF USING EITHER MOWER WITHOUT MOVING THE OTHER. YOU MAY HAVE TO EXTEND THE SIDE OF YOUR TRAILER AT THE AREA WHERE YOUR NEW GATE WILL BE TO ALLOW FOR CLOSURE OF THE GATE. I FOUND I WILL NOT HAVE TO EXTEND IT PAST THE FENDER SO HITTING OBJECTS WITH THE EXTENSION SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM. I HAVE AN ALUMINUM BOX RATHER THAN A OVERHEAD CAGE WHICH I MOUNTED ON THE TONGUE. YES I HAD TO EXTEND THE TONGUE 18" FOR THE BOX. HOPEFULLY YOUR TRIMMER RACK IS ON THE PASSENGER SIDE SO THE GATE CAN BE MOUNTED TO THE DRIVER SIDE FOR VISIBILITY. I BUILT MY SIDE GATE OUT OF SQUARE TUBE ALUMINUM AND DIAMOND PLATE. HOPE THIS HELPS!!

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Clint,
    Back the WB on the trailer first. Let the handles extend over the front of the trailer. This will give alot more room.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Clint,

Your not going to gain a great deal by straddleing the Metro with the HP. The HP doesn't have a great deal of extension in the front frame to the casters so you only gain a small amount when straddleing the mower in front.

Generally when we run into this the best solution is to park the two machines sideways on the trailer. The HP is a snap. Just back in onto the trailer, roll it into position and swing the nose around. This may or may not work on your trailer. The Metro due to the reverse assist is a littl more difficult. I'd drive it forward onto the trailer, nose it into where I want it and muscle the back end around. A third alternative is to park the walk behind in back of the rider and straddle the rider instead. I'll need to verify it will fit for sure when I get back to the office later in the week but it'll be close.

Thanks

Terry

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Clint, I have a 12 foot trailer and I've put a Toro 36" wb and a lazer z hp on it end to end. Fits with a couple inches to spare. I back the ZTR on, and the rear of the mower tucks up under the handlebars of the wb, but I often angle the ZTR to the side a little for even more clearance.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Clint

Is your dealer close?

If so, just take your trailer and your metro to the dealer.

Try ot se if the LazerHP will fit. Try it a couple different ways.

The best way to put a puzzle together is to have all the pieces in front of you. :|):

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2 trailers. One is a 12' and I can get a 36" metro and a 52" HP on with about 1" to spare. You must remember you are adding the handle bars. But the HP will actually go under the handle bars. It will fix, but it is close.

9. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Heh, thanks guys, I really appreciate it, i went out and was just looking at things on my trailer, well, i figured i could get it on there lengthwise and you guys made me that much more sure. but i still only have 59" of width, god, grandpa, i love you, but you should have made me a wider trailer!! :)

thanks again all of you
    clint