straight edge with string trimmer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by so cal Josh, May 15, 2007.

1. so cal Josh

so cal Josh LawnSite Member
    from So Cal

My hardest and most dependable guy can't make a straight edge with a string trimmer to save his life. Is it just "practice makes perfect" or does anyone have any training techniques I can show him? I'm not the greatest myself so I'm hardly any help. Any ideas?

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

get a stick edger or w/b edger to establish the edges. Then all you have to do is maintain them with a string trimmer. Also look into purchasing and edgit. Do a search on the site and you will find it.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

EDGIT !!!! it makes it fool proof
  4. jdramr4

jdramr4 LawnSite Member

I will never not have a edgit. It makes the perfect edge as fast as you can walk.
  5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Practice, Practice, Practice......
  6. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I concur. I learned out of necessity when I first started, and now my edges with a free-hand string trimmer look pretty darn good. Although on the other hand, I'm trying to teach one of my part time guys, he's left handed and I'm right handed, trying to teach him how to hold a trimmer backwards is almost impossible. I'm thinking about just training him to edge right handed.
  7. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i learned on my own lawn before i tried to go out on some properties...while i was learning i used a w/b edger to establish...
  8. ojtwelve

ojtwelve LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner & I have a curved shaft trimmer. Will the edgit work on it?

Also is there someone that can tell me or somewhere I can go to find out how to edge my yard with a trimmer?

Thanks everyone
  9. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

just flip it over so the edge of the head of the trimmer is parallel with your a test to see where your line is hitting then go for will take some practice but you'll get the hang of it after awhile...the only reason we're so good at it is because we do it anywhere from 10-200 times a week...unfortunatly you may not do it that many times in a span of two years...i would just buy an edger or an 'edgit' if i was you....
  10. ojtwelve

ojtwelve LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply.

I wanted to buy an edgit but I spoke to the company service rep today and they no longer make an Edgit for curved shaft trimmers. I currently don't have the finances to buy a straight shaft trimmer and then buy an Edgit. Is there anything else that I can attach to a curved shaft and use as an Edger?