1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Straight shaft edgers

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by unkownfl, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I'll use a stick edger to establish an edge on a new lawn but after that I use my string trimmer with the "Edgit". Far more efficient and will do a better job on tall St Aug. Go to edgit.com and check it out. I've used one for years and I not only use it to edge but all general trimming. Great time saver.

2. C&C Landscaping

C&C Landscaping LawnSite Member

Anyone else using the edgit tool. Looks interesting.

3. PappasPM

PappasPM LawnSite Member

I might have to check one of those out. Might be some good cheap backup. Does it make you have to go slower with the trimmer i wonder?

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

In Florida a lot of people have small lawns. A lot of them cram as many plants in as they can. Often the upper canopy of the plants is hanging over the grass. Edging with a trimmer will hit them. Also the trimmer does a pretty good job of sending mulch flying. I've got a zoysia lawn that has Netafim drip and some of it right to the edge of the bed. Edging with the trimmer is the only option here. I spend several minutes herding mulch back into the bed.

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Hawaii is the same. No string on my lawns. Trimming up to beds is done with the Maruyama Landscape blade. Edging of borders, plastic edging, and up to hardscapes is done with a curved shaft edger. String not only tears up the reel cut lawns, but also does quite a bad job as far as damaging overhanging plants.

6. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good name for a band. :)

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same problem when power spraying turf.

It goes back to the untrained Landscape designer who doesn't know plants. The day they install it, it looks great. 6 months later it is a jungle in progress. I am a firm believer in LESS IS MORE.

People from the West Indies seem to plant every inch of their yard. They use a lot of legal herbs for the Holistic medicine they practice. There is actually a big market for those ethnic herbs and vegetables. Ethnic food stores are crying for that kind of product.

Cement curbing has caught on big time in my area of SW Fla. for the same reasons you state. It lasts for years and has a clean look. I am in favor of nature boarders and organic mulch, but the Cement Curb and Stone Mulch is maintenance free by comparison and very popular here.