Straight shaft, or Curved shaft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by white1, Aug 8, 2008.

1. white1

white1 LawnSite Member

Looking at investing in a stick edger. I think I have it narrowed down to the Shindiawa LE242, or 261, or the RedMax HEZ2401S.

Al my 2 straok stuff now is Shindiawa, so I like the idea of the 242, or 261, but wondering if the straight shaft RedMax may have some advantages?

2. MisfitBobletts

MisfitBobletts LawnSite Member

its all gonna depend on what you are trimming...i go with curved shaft because i run a cemetery and those work better for trimming around all the headstones

3. twocycledoctor

twocycledoctor LawnSite Member

straight shaft all the way!!

4. white1

white1 LawnSite Member

Pretty much just sidewalks and driveways

5. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Don't recall any landscaper/lawn maintenance folks that have been in business awhile ever using a curved shaft.

Maybe some out there, but the straight shaft is by far the professional's choice.

6. MisfitBobletts

MisfitBobletts LawnSite Member

Oh so now im not a professional? lol jk

yeah with these headstones being 2-3" below the grass the curved shafts work really well....ive tried the straight shaft and they work but its alot more uncomfortable, the curved shaft works perfectly with no unneccesary operator fatigue

7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

all straight shaft. more power, less back-ache, easier to use, and balanced better. all the other pros i see use straight shaft.

8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I have a shinny stick edger and I dont think they make one with a straight shaft so I got the curved. I like it and it hasnt failed me yet. I think the original reason the "pros" went with straight shafts was because the drive shafts didnt break as much as well as they look more like pros according to some folks. Shinny is a good brand and if they are comfortable with a curve then so am I.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

My shindaiwa LE261 edger shaft just snapted in half while driving down the road in my trimmer rack!

I'm using my Stihl FC75 for now...Doesn't have half the power my shindy did.

10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

didnt notice that you were talkin about edgers, either would be fine. if i had it to do over again i would get a straight shaft though.