straight shaft or curved

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnandplow42, Mar 30, 2005.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys prefer for trimmers: Straight shaft or Curved Shaft and why.
    Thanks-dave

2. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

I use straight shaft. This allows me to stand up straight. Also, I turn the trimmer over and edge with it. (only on established edges!) I don't know that you can even get a commercial trimmer with a curved shaft. Maybe you can, but I haven't seen one yet.

3. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Straight shafts are the only way to go if you're doing commercial accounts. Curved shafts wear the drive out too quickly. We also use the Gator cord with the wire in it. Last four times longer than the best stuff at HD or Lowes.

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I like straight shafts. They last longer, get the power to the trimmer head faster, they allow the operator to stand up straighter, and you can reach under trees further.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I like them both, mainly I use the straight shaft but the curved is a little lighter so on the walks around a buildings its more comfortable. But if it came down to one or the other, then go with a straight shaft.

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

no choice.

Do they even make a commercial grade curved shaft?

Straight is the only way. much easier to use and much easier on the back.

7. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

We've got a commercial Stihl curved shaft trimmer that's 2 years old. The only action it ever sees is when our dad helps out. We just stick to straight shafts because they maneuver well, you can edge, trim, etc. with them.

8. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Curved shaft equals curved back which equals a sore back.

9. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Straight shaft, no doubt. Along with what the rest of you have said, you have a much better reach for getting under trees and shrubs, and also for trimming banks.

There are commercial bent shaft trimmers. But there truly is no comparison IMHO. Straight shaft hands down.

10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I think the straight has more power and is easier to use.