Straight Shaft Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vball2116, Jan 10, 2005.

1. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone I was wondering what do you think of straight shaft trimmers compared to the bent shaft. I am 16 years old and am looking at purchasing a trimmer that will last a few years and doing about 5 yards already and hopefully more. I like the Echo SRM-210 because it's a straight shaft and it seems pretty light. Will appreciate any of your opinions.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Staight shaft are the norm. The Echo SRM-210 is a excellent choice to start with. My first commercial trimmer was a Stihl FS-55. Man what a difference when compared to Craftsman etc. I only see "older" people and beginers using curved shaft trimmers. This does not mean that no one uses them but most people prefer straight. Make sure you check your local Home Depo return section for your Echo trimmer. Mines keep 1-2 all the time wher people returned and the are usually $50-$75 off the $200 original price.

3. vball2116

Thanks, I like the echo's also but isnt it true that the straight shafts are easier on your back also?

Jeff

4. davechick12

davechick12 LawnSite Member

iam 18 and started out with 5 or 6 houses and grew. I have a kawasaki kbl23a its light but still powerful enough i have had it 2 years and no problems.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Straight shaft trimmer is all that I will ever use.

6. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The straight shaft keeps you from having to bend over and allows you to trim under benches, low branches, etc. We use Stihl FS85's and FS110, the 110 is one of the new hybrid four strokes but still uses two cycle mix.

7. vball2116

Thanks for the information everyone. Im definitely planning on getting a straight shaft. Do any of you use the harness?

Jeff

8. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

The strait shaft also makes it easier to flip the trimmer over for edging.

9. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

Straight shaft is the only way to go. I have used both,curved was years ago back at my parents house. The straight shaft makes it easier to get under branches & other things as well as having the trimmer head further away from you making it safer as well i.m.o.
    Chris

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Go with a Shindaiwa T270...you'll still have it when you are 30... :D