straighten out this yard! pics

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ALC-GregH, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

It's me again, I have a job I need to price out that they want the front part of the yard turned into grass. There's a stump that needs to come out in the right corner near the house. I'm not quite sure how to bid the job. Seed, straw, top soil, starter fert and labor. The part I'm not sure on though is how long it will take. The dirt is washed away from the front concrete porch so it will need top soil that will need to be graded out as well. Also all the landscaping plastic needs to go. Got any ideas on what I should charge in hours? I'm not sure how long it will take, thats my problem. Material's I can handle, it the number of hour to do it I'm stumped on. In the first pic, it will need to be cleared and graded level from the far left by the rock over to the far right by the stone path all the way up to the foundation. After that, they want other stuff done, like a walk way from left to right. The decorative paver brick that are up against the foundation will go and a mulched flower bed will go in their place and a walkway using those paver brick will go next to the flower bed.
    Thanks for any help....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

man, 10 minutes isn't enough time to edit crap. The moderator's need to change this to at least 30 minutes.

Also, the shrub and tree will stay. Everything else around it needs to go. The woman actually likes the red boards. I can't stand them and told her there's other better appearing options.

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

so the red boards, the stump go...remove old mulch/plastic...the area is graded...seeded/dirt/fert...?

what happens to the drainage pipe in pic #2? just trying to figure out what exactly needs to be done...also, are you going to do it all by hand, or do you have a dingo/skid/etc?

4. I.M. Green

I.M. Green LawnSite Member

is all this by hand or do you have any equipment like a bobcat that you can use?

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

that was just asked...

6. I.M. Green

and if you get everything even with the foundation and level will there need to be a small retaining wall to the right side to keep dirt from washing away while the seed is rooting?

7. Okiebug003

Okiebug003 LawnSite Member

First thing I would do is rent a small bobcat, and back blade the area smooth. Load up the extra dirt/mulch/rocks to be dumped along with the landscape ties and bed liner. I would bring in a little bit of top soil maybe 3 cubic yards and top dress that area. I would lay sod. It cost more and is more work, but when you leave the yard will look great. Should be able to do it in one day by yourself. Figure up what you charge for approx. 8hrs work plus expenses(Bobcat rental, soil, sod/seed, and cost to dump the materials. I would add a little extra because this job looks like a pain in the butt. hope this helps

8. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Did anyone else notice that that white expandable drain line is on BACKWARDS. That mulch needs to be gotten away from that tree or it will surely die. The basic of basic rules is to never cover the shoe of a tree!!!! Poor tree!! I get rid of that small tree right beside the house as it's roots would eventually crack the foundation and then they would cut it down rather that replanting it somewhere else now. That arbor-vita or huge green something needs to be sold to a nursery as it's too big and unsightly for that little house.

9. I.M. Green

looks like we were both typing at the same time but you apparently hit submit before me...

10. cudaclan

cudaclan LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

"That mulch needs to be gotten away from that tree or it will surely die."

Why do people find it attractive to do this? I think the plastic sheet was used to redirect the water somewhere (?). The soil line is too high. It should be 18" below the house siding to prevent termite entry (tunnels). You will probably find surface roots exposed from that tree. The owner's attempts to conceal it with mulch (?). Is it wise to have a clause with that trees survival?