Straightening out a Mower Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carcrz, May 14, 2006.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

When dad & I first started in 2002, we started with new equipment. In doing so, we also learned how fast new equipment can look like old equipment when first learning the techniques. Sometime during the learning process, the sides of the deck got bent inward a little bit & sometimes rub on the blade. I am wondering if there is a way to straighten out the sides or if I need to be thinking about replacement. If replacement is necessary, is there aftermarket parts or just OEM.

2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had this happen on my Great Dane Surfers, alot. Everytime you would hit a tree or rub a wall just right the deck would bend in and the blades would hit. I don't know if there is a proper way to fix this but it always worked for us to jack up the front of the machine as high as you can get it, and then use a slege hammer to beat the deck back out. Like I said I don't know if this is the "right" way to do it, but its cheaper then a new deck. :weightlifter:

3. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

You could probly heat the side of the deck up with a torch, and bend it back that way.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The original deck on the 1997-1999 standers did the same thing. Get the biggest hammer you can find and beat the heck out of it till its a little past where it originally was. Because your bound to bend it back in again.

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I think thats about the only way. Just be careful when smacking it with a hammer that you don't knock it off the jacks or blocks.:cry:

6. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Hammer method here as well. Be very careful with jacking it up, have a second person there to hold the jack or the handles of the mower. Also make sure you give yourself enough room from getting hit in a bounce back from the hammer.

7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

A mower deck is three dimentional, so heating a side and trying to bend it won't get you very far. If it is caved in, you have to cut the deck up the side and across the top to where it is straight. You may have to do this in more than one place. Then, with lots of strength you can bend the deck straight again and weld up the seam(s). If the gap is wide, just add a piece of welding rod or a sliver of 1/8" flat bar as you weld.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

On that piece of advice, you might use the hammer method, then weld in a piece of straight steel for reinforcement.
    Never had this problem with the Toros, their decks like to crack, not bend. Don't know which is better lol.

9. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good thinking... I forgot that part.