strands of grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottlawns, Jul 8, 2000.

1. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

i have a great dane surfer....just wondering why when i cut i can look from a distance and see strands of grass sticking up....maybe im being picky but it would like it too look better...i never had a complaint yet..(about that)i sharpen my blades everynite,and i always scrape my deck,ive tried going really slow and that dont seem to help either...any ideas i could try ?thanks for any help.<p>scottlawns

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have the same mower as you do but mayby you can try alternating direction of cut from week to week to change the lie of the grass. This can also happen at higher settings (3&quot;+) as all the grass isn't picked up by the vacuum action of the deck. Don't worry so much about a few strands sticking up unless you want to eat a jar of tums a day. Good Luck.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Try putting high lift blades on the mower. It worked for me.

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Double check the height settings on your deck. I goofed a property by mowing at 3&quot; and 2.5&quot; by having the deck lopsided. This is the time of year I find myself on auto pilot, the little things arent so automatic.<p>Good Luck

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Richard is right,try the high-lift blades. Just watch for flying objects!

6. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I have the same problem but just noticed it since the first of July when I raise mowing heights from 3 to 3 1/2 inches..you cant notice it when you are standing on the lawn but at a distance you can see it...not sure about the high lift blades either I have them and still notice it...I think its something we have to live with ...and cutting at 3 1/2 is keeping the yards looking sharp in the dry hot months of july and august here in Indiana....

7. BRET

BRET LawnSite Member

WE ALSO HAVE A GREAT DANE SURFER AND WE HAVE FOUND THAT SOMETIMES THE TIRES ARE SMASHING DOWN THE GRASS AND THEN IT STICKS BACK UP. ITS FRUSTRATING.

8. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

My personal experience has been when the grass is thick no matter how slow you cut even with sharp blades your gonna get some (froghairs) one or two blades of grass here and there due to the large volume of grass placed under the deck. You don't allways have the time to make multiple passes, so the option of raising your cutting height is<br>a good bet. I've made a habit to kneel down and look across the lawn to spot those few blades of grass left standing and touch up these areas with the trimmer as needed. Additionally I've noticed this problem occurs more with mulching rather than discharge mowing and if the lawn is dry I'ts gonna be a ***** no matter what you do!<br>