1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Strang goings on

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by swim, Mar 7, 2004.

1. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scag walk behind mower that has a 20hp Kohler and electric start with the hydro pumps. The problem is that alot of the electrical system does not work properly. Sometimes they do but others they don't.

The battery does not always charge.
    The clutch will not engage.
    The OPS will not kill the engine with or without blades on.
    The engine will run on for about 15 or 20 seconds after I shut the key off.

I have switched the battery, voltage regulator, starter switch, installed a new clutch, and replaced the starter solenoid. All to no avail any help out there?
  2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

somewhere there is a connector that is faulty. I would disconnect all the electrical plugs, inspect them and plug them all back up. Test systems and see where you are. If that doesnt fix things, then start it up and wiggle all the wires and plugs until a fault occurs.
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to unplug the big white connector that is used to connect the handlebar wire harness to the tractor harness.
    It is located on the right side handlebar tube, if your standing behind the unit.
    These were prone to corrosion, you need to clean the terminals and reconnect, it is also is a good time to put some dielectric grease in that connector.