1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Strange estimate last fall..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by impactlandscaping, Mar 4, 2005.

1. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I went to do an estimate for lawn mowing last fall for a YP caller. We only provide full service, but are looking into adding some mowing onlys this year as well to fill a third day. Anywho..We have 3 other accounts on this same street . I tell the lady it will be $ 32.00 per week, per cut. She says " That's $ 2.50 less than the company doing it now, and I'm not happy with them". I think we are in, then she says" I still think that's too much to pay. You guys are all the same, bringing big mowers in and you'll be done in 20 minutes(probably less than 15). I think it should cost no more than $ 20.00 to mow my lawn with those big mowers".umm, thanks ....NEXT!!!.... :D
  2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Stupid people they don't complain when a plumber comes and turns his wrench for 15 mins and charges $50
  4. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

more like $85 here
  5. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, Here its $60-$70 just for a plumber, or HVAC guy to show up then its another $65 an hour for what he does and all he has is a van with some parts and hand tools in it. We show up with a heavy duty truck, trailer, a couple mowers, weed wackers, blowers, edgers, and hand tools and we have trouble getting people to scrape up $25-$30 for us. WHERES THE JUSTICE???? :realmad:
  6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you defended us all and tactfully informed her that the reason you can do it in 20 minutes is because you have $xx,xxx worth of equipment, etc. that allows you to do that and that $32.00 is more than reasonable! :blob2:
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Received two phone calls last week requesting quotes. First was a lady who used company XYZ but was looking to get rid of them. She apparently has been with them for the past seven years. I explain how we operate, what she should expect from us, and what I would expect from her. Conversation went well. Well, then she decided to explain it shouldn't cost her too much because company XYZ was in and out in fifteen minutes.

Well, I know this company XYZ she is referring too. I actually believe they do good work...from what I can tell when we are servicing an account next too theirs. However, this company pulls a LARGE enclosed trailer with two Z's and one WB. The truck is a crew cab and their are always four guys in the truck. No wonder they can hop out and be done in fifteen minutes.

I dunno, I just find it funny...the perceptions people have. She thinks the lawn will take me fifteen minutes. But, it is simply not the case here. So I'll probably lose this bid. We'll see, quote goes out in the mail today.
  8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

It all about the Man Hours. Four guys, 15 minutes = 1 man hour...The average homeowner just doesn't see or care to see the full picture...

.Plumers and electricians will always garner those kinds of wages, I guess Its seen as Specialty Work...In the eyes of some people, cutting grass isn't specialty work....Although look in the yellow pages, you more likely to see more plumberss than landscapers...I'd be nice if we could have done some "price fixing" for hourly wages...
  9. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think the plumber to lawn care is an accurate comparison.

A typical lawn maint. schedule is probably every week, or two weeks (I don't know.. our grass doesn't get a chance to grow), so people are seeing that they are paying $30-$45 a week. Whereas a plumber they may only need once every two months or even less.. so they justify it differently.

I'm not saying it doesn't cost you guys to go out there and do your work and that you should not be compensated appropriately.. just saying in the customer's mind, they are paying what they believe to be a high price for short work.
  10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I started to , but then decided I'd rather slam my fingers in the truck door than try to reach her on her level..lol. I knew the other LCO(she mentioned co. name) servicing her yard, and called him to give him heads up that one of his clients was shopping. He said he couldn't wait til she cancelled...big PITA. whiner.....LOL