1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Strange fungus

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Haggerty, May 31, 2003.

1. I found this while mowing today. It was sticking up 3 to 4 inches above the lawn.

Does anyone know what it is? It was growing by a little tree stump down in the ground.

It's fragile. I broke it trying to pick it. It doesn't show well in the pic but it has a honeycomb like structure to the walls. And it really stinks!

lawn growth640.jpg
  2. Bob's Lawn

Bob's Lawn LawnSite Member

I had this same thing growing in a customer's landscape bed last year. I touched it and it broke apart and never came back. No idea what it was.

Only one I ever saw until your post. Did the bottom part of it have a covering? Mine was in a spot that never has direct sun.

3. No, no covering of any sort. It was just growing up out of a hole beside the stump.
    This was right out in the open. But come to think of it, I don't think Ohio has had much direct sunlight for the past month. :rolleyes:

There were a couple more little ones down in the hole. I'll try to take the camera next time. It sure looked strange growing out of the lawn.
  4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. You might want to check under your bed tonight.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

6. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Looks like one of those mushroom fungus, bet you can find it on your computer, I haven't seen that one, but if its growing beside a tree its prob-mushroom, only ones i use to hunt are the precher peckers, washem flower, fry in butter ummmmm....Marks Mowing Service
  7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

John Bobbit live anywhere near there? :D
  8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If its in an old tree stump, or around an old tree stump it is just decay fungi.
  9. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

PS. advise your clients to get rid of old tree stumps. They are harbingers of Armillaria root rot (Shoestring root rot)
  10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: