1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

strange idea

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by vipermanz, Nov 19, 2002.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i remember seeing on junkyard wars where they were making a fireboat and had a running engine driving a non-running engine as a water pump, i wonder if this would work on a single cylinder old b&s i have??:alien:
  2. Just rig up a water pump from auto engine to be powered by your briggs.
  3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

it would work but you would have to remove the *** and or tappets and make a new head with 2 check valves (inlet and outlet) if you just use the engine without the modifications then it would just lock up on the compression stroke because liquid doesn't compress. or do what bob suggested. if you were planning on using the pump other than just seeing if it will work then use a pump designed for water. the water would quickly rust up the cylinder and contaminate the oil from it leaking by the rings.
  4. vipermanz

what got censored?? does a auto water pump put out a lot of water??
  5. I'm not sure what the volume is. Way back in high school I turned a buddies old wagon into an irrigation pump for his garden. Was about 75 feet from creek. Had a couple 50' X 2" hoses, disconnected radiator hoses from water pump and hooked up long hoses. You wont get much pressure but a fair amount of volume. Didn't run a sprinkler with it but had a ditch system.
    Reconnected radiator when done and drove away.
  6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't think the word "camshaft" got censored but I sure in the He11 don't know what three *** are about.
  7. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

I saw that episode. They tried to make a copy of a very old design. In Korea they had Jeep engines that were half engine and half air compressor. The 2 center cylinders would be valved to operate as an air compressor and the other two would run as normal cylinders. I know someone that has one of these, they are very interesting. I think the guys on Junkyard wars were from M.I.T and they tried making it way to complicated, didn't they loose that on that show?
  8. vipermanz

i think they did lose now to think of it:)