Strange injury

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Florabama, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Florabama

Florabama LawnSite Member

I was using my Redmax BCZ3001 to take down some overgrown St. Augustine down to about 6" on a major res cleanup, old foreclosed properties in the hood. I've used it for over 6mos without a problem or worry..awesome trimmer. About 10 mins from wrapping up the job, I have a sensation that my right shoe is full of water, like stepping in a 6" deep puddle. I look down, BLOOD everywhere! I didn't feel a thing and actually thought I had hit a small animal or something. I walk back to sit on the trailer, pull my jeans up and I had a 1/2" vertical cut down to the bone halfway up my shin, through my jeans! I'm still perplexed about this, I rarely get hit at all and the fact that my right leg is usually stepped back when trimming makes it more unusual. No pain, bruise or sensation of being cut whatsoever, almost like I got hit by a surgical scalpel. It clotted about 2 hours later, back to work the next day. Has anyone ever heard of this? You can't make this up!

2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

it sounds like god was punishing you for doing work for carpetbaggers.glad your OK.

3. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Pics would help the detectives on this forum find out what really happen!!!!

LOL, sorry to hear what happen, hope you heal 100%. I've often wondered of wearing shin gaurds from my soccer days, but I could never wear pants while I work, gotta love them shorts!!!!

4. Florabama

"it sounds like god was punishing you for doing work for carpetbaggers"

LOL, funny you would say that, I was working for California Bay Area real estate investors who are buying cheap properties in Old Mobile. I quote high and they send a check through to the RE agent before I start the work. Rough jobs but someone has to do it!

5. Florabama

I wear shorts on my regular route, never in high grass and weeds. I'm seriously considering wearing jeans and Cajun leather boots every day. I had my camera for before after pics of the properties and should of got some pics, the steel toe shoe full of blood would of been a good one.

6. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

hope your leg heals up fast. i have git myself with a trimmer before and its almost like a paper cut where you may not feel it for a few hours later.

7. Florabama

"hope your leg heals up fast. i have git myself with a trimmer before and its almost like a paper cut where you may not feel it for a few hours later."

I must of hit it with the trimmer somehow while tired and zoning out, the fact the cut was vertical, not horizontal is the strange thing. I was thinking I might of threw a glass crack pipe that was resting in the grass!

8. jaredslawnserv

jaredslawnserv LawnSite Member

yeah, gotta love em

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it was the trimmer itself, I've hit myself in the leg with that before and that kind of pain is among some of the most serious, because I have never not felt it... Now the string itself can and will break skin but it looks a lot more like road rash than a neat cut, especially through your jeans it would take some solid 'zinging' with that string. Out of the few times that I've done this it only drew blood once and that was the worst one and still it was just bleeding a little, the damage just isn't concentrated enough to break skin and keep going, instead it spreads out over an area.

Unless you're using them dangerous 4-way oscillating steel blades on that trimmer (and one flew apart).
    The plastic ones might can do it too, but string in itself that would be very unusual in my opinion.

So I think the trimmer probably caught something like a piece of glass it then flung your way, and it could have been anything related like also a sharp piece of metal, maybe even a certain kind of a rock with a sharp edge.

Just what I'm thinking.

10. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you've had your tetanus shot!!! Or maybe you anti-broken-crack-pipe-infection shot. Just kidding on the last one but seriously you may want to make sure that is now infected.