1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Strange one yesterday

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by AI Inc, Apr 17, 2014.

1. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

RB esp 6 zone clock. Power at the taps. Power at the field wires in zone box
    When wired to a solenoid , no more power.
  2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Prob a nick in the wire and the current is grounding out. Jim will chime in.
  3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

That's the problem with using voltage alone to troubleshoot. Measure the resistance of the path and solenoid together and isolated. Measure for a short to earth. I'd bet you have a low resistance measurement to earth.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Voltage alone tells little. Since power is voltage divided by resistance, a too-high resistance in the wiring will kill the power, even if you can still have the expected open-circuit voltage when you take a measurement at the valves.
  5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Clock was junk.
  6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Wonder why you'd get power at the clock and in the field and yet nothing under load?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

I've seen that before. A while back I had one that would cause the solenoid to rapidly cycle (chatter), but not open the valve.
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Was wondering the same myself. Never saw that before. After changing the solenoid and nothing I set a new clock next to the old one . Wired just that 1 zone and heard water come on. Ended up that was zone 1 , customer said zone 4 and 6 also didn't work. Changing clock also fixed zone 4 . Zone 6 was just a junk wire and luckily the original installer had extra wires there. A simple swap fixed 6.
  9. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

thx :)

(ten charcters)