strange requests via my website

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Aug 19, 2008.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Received this email today:

Hello Owner,
    My name is xxxxx xxxxx and I am sending you an email regarding of of some order of sprinklers and i will like to know if you do carry the Sprinkler 100mm Side Strip 4.5 x 1.5mtrs Radius' PSO4SS sprinklers and please can i know the price for each ? and also what types of credit card do you accept? I will be waiting to read from you asap

Regards...........

I have gotten odd requests before, like bidding on a big ag irrigation project in India.

I'm just wondering if the above was a legitimate but clueless request (I don't sell anything online) or some kind of elaborately researched attempt at a credit card scam....has the sort of stilted English of a Nigerian letter... anyone else happen to get one of these? (name x'd out but didn't match the Yahoo email either)...

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Just ignore it.

I get all sorts of crazy stuff submitted to forms on my websites from overseas.

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

And Danna thought I was paranoid.........................
    Armadillo helmets anyone??

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Uhhh... now I am paranoid. I received the EXACT same email this morning. I replied saying we are not a retail shop. Hmmmm.....

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Any links in the email?

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. probably a phishing scam.

7. irrig8r

Yeah....maybe they'll order a few thousand dollars worth of sprinkler parts with a stolen credit card.... :nono:

8. irrig8r

I decided maybe it was better not to reply.

It was a yahoo return email address with a womans name and the number 57. I looked it up (via profiles/yahoo.com) And there was no profile name or any info given, but the email address name didn't match the name given in the email.

Was yours the similar?

No links. It was in my SPAM folder, but I thought I'd check, since there were no obvious attachments.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't think it was anything weird until you mentioned it. So I had replied to her/him. I get a few calls and emails from people looking to buy parts, so it didn't seem too out of the ordinary. And yes it was a woman's name. Name within the email was different than what was in the name listing in the title. Yes on the #57. Same thing.

10. Greg,

Something similar to you, but mine is from referral by valley yellow pages. Apparently, I'm the only one with a valid web site(may be fixed by now), so if you do a search for irrigation parts(i'm listed for repairs), get my web site and local phone number.

Always get request if the dummies would just look at O.S.H. or other big box stores they could get the part. Then when you tell them that Horizon, Ewing or JDL would be there best bet, always the the HUH.