Strange Season here in Coastal NC

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mow"N"Bud, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

I haven't been doing this business for decades, but I have done it for a while, and this has by far been the strangest season yet. Here it is almost Christmas, and we are still getting up leaves. Because of the unseasonably warm temps, and all the rain, not all the turf grass has gone dormant. We are even doing some regular cuts for several customers. It even hit 70 degrees yesterday (Dec 21). Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the money, but what is up with this weather.

The really positive is that during the holiday period, because I'm working, and the neighbors of my customers are seeing me and my crews, I'm picking up new contracts. This makes me very happy. :) I believe this will be one of those years my company really grows. The biggest boost has been signing on with 2 rental agencies, which manage rental property. We have gotten numberous jobs for mowing, leaf clean up and pressure washing on their vacant propeties. This has been very cool. Because of this I have signed on with a real estate agency which has become very profitable also. It might be good for some of you to dawn the shirt and tie, and put together a proposal and get a meeting with some of these agencies, as long as you can be the go to lawn care they need, because usually it is spur of the moment type of reaction time they need.

Post back if any of you are have similar experiances with the weather or real estate agencies, and or management companies.

Good luck out there.

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I know what you mean about weather this year, we worked up to the middle of Dec. this year but mowing was over by late Nov. I just hope we can get back to work by early March this year and continue the trend. I'm starting to get a little bored.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

global warming... ?

4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

:waving: Must be. It was like 75 a few days ago. Plenty of work

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, we have guys running all over the place here in Greenville. I'm liking it.