Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I just had a client show up at my house... To make a long story short he was always a slow pay client (owed $1000 at one point) and I felt like I was always being strung along. Well.. I got tired of it and decided to show up when I felt like it. He then began to get caught up but never all the way. That is until last week.. PAID IN FULL. :blob3:

Well.. I haven't been to his house in about 3 weeks and I know his grass is long. He has been calling and leaving messages for the last few days asking if I'm going to be by soon. It's amazing how communicative he is when he wants something!!!

Anyway.. I sent him an email cancelling services due to my business taking a new direction. As my wife put it.. "what direction is that.. customers that pay?" LOL... she's so funny. Not an hour later the guy shows up at my house asking me what the deal is and that a phone call would be nice. My first reaction was and I said.. "Well, this is odd" and politely explained again that I am going in a new direction (larger properties). He asked if I could cut it one more time until he finds someone else. I told him... maybe wednesday. NOT.

It was a very strange thing to happen... anyone else experience this? He doesn't even live in my neighborhood.
  2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

It's amazing how much of a difference it is when the shoe is on the other foot
  3. Blueangelfightr

Blueangelfightr LawnSite Member

No but I can tell you that I hate that crap, not paying in full. It only happened to me once. I went to someones house last year for snow blowing and when we were done she said that it wasn't that high and we were trying to rip her off ($30.00 for driveway, sidewalk, and stairs. 7 inches of snow) I said are you kidding me. I never went back to that house again and she asked me why I don't come by, I told her that I would if she paid from the last time. She really hated paying some one else $35.00 to move 1.2 feet of snow last year. Oh well. Some people are soooo cheap.
  4. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

If I was you I would continue services for him. He finally paid you off then you stopped. I don't know much about clients since I only have a couple but personally I try to be as nice and understanding as I can.
  5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I have (had) a client that was always behind. The last 3 years he would still owe me money going into spring, and every spring I would find some plaster work (he is a union plasterer) for him to pay me off. Anyway, this year I had him plaster my moms basement, it ended up costing me $250 over what he owed me. He demanded I pay him instead of giving him credit. Well this year he fell $210 behind, so I stopped showing up to cut his grass. He had someone else cut it for a couple of weeks. Then decides to come give me a visit. He told me that he was selling some property he had out of town and would have me paid off in a month. Then he ask if I would cut his grass again, if he paid me cash every week. I told him, if he promises to pay I would do it. I told him he would have to leave payment somewhere hidden if he knew he wasn't going to be home. He said fine, but can you do it for $25 to help me out since i'm not working right now. I laughed and told him to get lost.

The nerve of some people.
  6. cward

cward LawnSite Member

I have one of those accounts. This client has gotten behind twice this summer. Twice I decided not to mow their property and within a day or two each time, I had my money. This last time, I made them sign a contract (like that will help), however, like everyone else has said..."when the shoe is on the other foot," things start happening.
  7. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

I know its hard to turn down money(when you finally get it!)but sometimes it just has to be done, you just got to let the slow paying fools go. Unfortunately, all my clients are right on time, only one problem all year because the people went out of town at the end of the month and forgot to pay, I looked past it because they were out of town for a funeral down in Georgia. It sure is funny how some people have the nerve to not pay and then when you dont show, they want to know why. Well jerkoff, I wonder if it has something to do with your stinking inability to be a responsible member of society and square your bills. Boy do I hate deadbeats. Im just lucky I have not run into any of them yet. Im sure my time is coming. And I am polite to a certain point, but if you act like a complete scumbag, Im gonna treat your ass like a scumbag. And if you cant take the harshness of what I tell you, sit on it and twirl you SOB. Now I cant wait for that happen, just to see the look on there face when I say it. ;)
  8. oneandonlyjojo

oneandonlyjojo LawnSite Member
    from NY

damn 7 inches of snow here would get $80-100 just for a small driveway
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Call me crazy but I wouldn't be too happy having customers know where I live. Some of mine do know but they have been with me for years. I don't want to be home spending time with my children and have some late payer show up and want to talk. Good idea to move on and get a better account.

10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I live on a busy road, and my truck sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm moving soon, and will miss the great advertising my truck brings me on this road.