Strangest things you've seen in 2003

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jajwrigh, Nov 14, 2003.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Tell your story about the craziest things that have happened to you this year!

Here is mine...

One afternoon I went to a customer's home to cut their grass and they warned me to watch out for an angry bird in the back yard. I thought to myself "what the he@$ can a bird do?" I began mowing the front of the property and quickly forgot about the warning. Once the front was finished I began to work my way into the back yard, where I heard terrible shreaking. I saw a medium sized robin perched on a fence about 15 feet away from me. When I was facing him, he would just shriek, but as soon as my back was to him he would divebomb my hair and the back of my neck! I have never had a wild animal touch me with cruel intentions before. Well 10 miuntes goes by and the same thing occurs with each pass I make. It began to really piss me off because his little wings were constantly next to my ears like a giant fly or something. I finally shut off my mower ran and got my trimmer and chased him around with it. I almost got him to fly into my line at full throttle, but he kept avoiding it somehow. The next week when I came back I realized that she was trying to protect a baby that fell out of the nest! That was a humorous experience!
  2. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

I don't know how funny this one is, but I found it decently interesting. I was driving up the street to one of my yards one day and I see one of the neighbors burning leaves along the curb. I thought nothing of it until I saw him come back and dump some more leaves on the pile more than once. It really didn't affect me at all, I just kept wondering what the fireman and cops would have done if they would have saw it.
  3. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

A lot of old timers round here say that they used to burn leafs by the curb in the street. Kind of interesting....Awww the good ole days, before the liberals took over:mad: :mad:
  4. Christian grower

Christian grower LawnSite Member

Here's mine

My son (13) and I were cutting a yard where yellow jackets had been a problem in the front yard. Thinking the problem was taken care of I was not even thinking about bee's anymore. I was in the back yard on the ZTR and my son was doing the trimming around the dog lot. The next thing I know, my son is gone the trimmer is laying on the ground in my way. I stop and start yelling for my son, he comes from around the house waving his arms and I'm hollering get the trimmer out of my way. He's trying to tell me something and the next thing I know I look down and my ZTR and legs are covered in yellow jackets. I jump up and run away, the mower dies, the bee's cover the ZTR and I'm standing here with the clock ticking. Then I go to the customers garage find a tarp and wrap myself up then move in to reclaim my machine. This goes off with 100% success and not one sting. AMAZING!!!!!
  5. not much in 2003 about the only thing my 110lb wife gave a guy who was giveing her a hard time a swift kick in the you know what.
  6. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

:p HA HA HA HA HA HA!!:p That's funny as HELL! Woulda loved to have seen it!
  7. GardenTech

GardenTech LawnSite Member

Mine happened today...

Friggin' Trampolenes...been moving one around a client's back yard all summer; pulled onto the property today and watched a GUST of wind knock it on it's side and roll it down the street!!
    I'm still chuckling...
  8. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a five foot alligator in my yard a couple of months back. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal except my property (1.5 acres) is chain linked fenced in. It was laying up against the fence. The last time I remember leaving the gate open was probably a week and a half before. I assume it came in then.

I thought I could kind of herd him out the gate that was about 30-40 yards away. I went up behind him banging a shovel on the ground in attempt to get him moving. He moved all right. Before I even realized he moved, he was facing me. Scared the heck out of me. I decided to leave him alone. He was gone the next day.
  9. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I was cutting around a house last week (38 degrees out) and after passing by a garden I felt something wet on my neck. I turned my head around and saw nothing. Just to be sure I felt my neck and it was wet, so I turned the Lazer around and saw one of those motion activated sprinklers, but it was too late I got sprayed again!