Strapped for cash in the winter

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by hairbearxx, Dec 14, 2010.

1. hairbearxx

hairbearxx LawnSite Member

Here it is winter time and I'm needing to make money from here until the spraying season starts again in late February (hopefully late February). Does anybody have any suggestions on making cash in the winter? How do you save up for the winter time, and is there a way to collect unemployment if I am the sole owner?

2. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure about IN but I doubt that you can collect unemployment if you are self employed.

There are ways to make money in the winter up there or going into it, is there a reason that you are not plowing? How about Christmas light installs? Leaf clean ups etc. Did you not do any of these?

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Consider taking a part time or full time job during the winter to tide you over until spring.

4. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Go post a free ad on Craigs List under the Services section-"Labor/Move" & post a hauling away debris ad or a ad in the "wanted" section offering to pick up scrape metal for free. Scrape prices are at an all time high again. You can make good $ hauling away people's debris...yard debris, appliances, lumber, etc. I resell a lot of items I haul away, on Craigs. Plus, I give them my landscaping biz card & get quite a few bush trimming jobs later on.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Sure you can collect unemployment insurance, as long as you paid in on yourself....kinda self defeating though.

UPS usually hires seasonal help and pays well. Loading trucks and also tagging along with drivers to help speed deliveries.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Is this a trick question?:dizzy:

You need to bill for your time in your season to cover your off season expenses.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

must create a budget and then stick to it

8. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Sell your body!:drinkup:

9. Go deliver pizza's.

10. domain311

domain311 LawnSite Member

We do contracts early on with a 15% deposit. Not really for the winter, but has helped substantially for when we start back up again with payroll, etc...best thing I ever did. We send those out in January. The contracts are not binding where the customer would have to keep our services for an entire year or even a month. It clearly states they can discontinue services at any time if dissatisfied. Its more of an overall agreement of what both parties expect of each other and for us to collect a deposit so we can start the work.

If out of money now with only just recently stopping, sounds like may be a good idea to better budget the income. When does your season end or when did you work up until?