Strapping down a 1.5 Horse pump

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lehrjetmx, Jul 25, 2008.

1. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Hey any of you fine gents got any tricks on how to keep the vib's down on 1.5 horse pump. I just picked up this condo asso and they have a pump that is just laying on a concrete pad in a pump house pulling from a pond feeding the system. Just this week the 2 inch PVC fittings inlet and output broke loose. I how have a 4 inch gavl pipe male threaded coupler connected to the pump then to that a female threaded to slip pvc fitting. I want to mount the pump to the concrete but is there any bushings that I can put between the pump and the concrete? Any ideals????? Thanks again guys!!!!!
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

My thought would be to get the bolt-hole layout of the pump and then to drill and set anchor bolts into the pad, then drop the pump onto the pad and bolt it down, maybe with stainless-steel nuts.
  3. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

There is bolts down in the pad already but then they don't line up go figure right. The pump was replaced a year ago I was just told. Is there any kind of bushing like a shock absorber I could use?
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Boots has it right, Whoever replaced the pump last time was lazy.
  5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Your local hardware store, or auto parts store would have something to buffer the vibe? Maybe the pump manufacture sells something? Check there.
  6. Wet_Boots

I don't think you want to install any 'buffer' or material that can allow pump movement. Is the existing pump one that can be serviced or replaced with an identical one? If so, install new anchor bolts. You can grind or saw off the old bolts.

Or, you might cut and drill some u-channel steel, and attach it to the old bolts. Then you mount the pump on the steel channels, maybe having to use some steel plate atop the channels.
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

ROFL ...... :rolleyes:
  8. Wet_Boots

It was either that or "can't type fast enough to sneak in the edit unannounced"
  9. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

To me that seems like alot of vibration. I have a three horse multistage pump that pulls water from a river and I don't have any vibration at all and my pump also sits on a concrete pad with no tie down whatsoever. I think I would look at the pump and ensure that all is well with it, a centrifugal pump shouldn't't vibrate like that. If you just strap or tie it down the vibration is going to go someplace and instead of breaking fittings you may break something else.
  10. Wet_Boots

I've had pumps sitting loose on pads and no worries, but the textbook method is to bolt the things to a great weight, like a concrete pad, to soak up the forces that move a pump in the first place.

Maybe Purp will check in from his geocaching and post a few pump photos from his jobsites.