Strapping Down Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassworksNEB, Apr 20, 2003.

1. GrassworksNEB

GrassworksNEB LawnSite Member
    from NE

Just curious if you guys strap down your equipment to your trailer between jobs?

2. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Several other threads on this already, but the answer is simple:ITS THE LAW

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping
    Since 1973

3. I've seen maybe ONE trailer load of equipment strapped down.

Actually "the law" states your load must be secure.

I wedge my equipment into the trailer.

Dave

4. GrassworksNEB

GrassworksNEB LawnSite Member
    from NE

Excuse me for not doing a search....I am new to the whole forum deal and don't always think of the search tool...

5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I put the Z first in the enclosed trailer...then put on the parking brake then put the walk behinds in behind it and use a single tie down for each with the push mower going in last (sidways) and thats wedged between the ramp door and the W.B

6. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

My trailer as 4' mesh sides, So unless I flip my trailer it will stay where I left it. Also I have the mower area framed in with 4x4's so if I stop fast it stays put. Works rather well in my opinion.

7. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you're right the law says the load must be secure. Determining if it is secure, however, depends on the opinion of the DOT inspector.

Doug

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You bet it is. They love to issue tickets here and any reason to pull you over and check everything is well worth the few moments it takes to strap down. I have spent too much move to risk anything rolling around and getting beat up on the trailer.

Gravely_Man

9. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 18 ft w/ 4 ft sides and my ztr is strapped down.

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

You bet I do. I don't strap the Z Master or the Walker, but all the W/B's the aerator, hand tools etc. get securely strapped down.

I got t-boned in an intersection and it did flip my trailer. When I saw that 44" W/B sailing through the air in my mirror, all I could think was I hope that doesn't land on another car...........it didn't, but had it been strapped down it would have been in alot better shape.