Strategic Petro Reserve: If there was a gas shortage, how long could you operate?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by olde_blue, Jul 12, 2008.

If you couldn't buy gas or diesel, how long could you operate (worse case scenario)?

1. Less than 1 day (If I don't stop for fuel on the way home, I won't make it!)

2. 1 to 2 days

3. 2 to 7 days

4. 7 to 14 days

5. Over 14 days (I also have 2 years worth of water and MRE's in a bomb shelter in the back yard!)

1. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

While fuel prices are a problem, a fuel shortage would be even worse. With the talk of a possible Iran-Israel conflict (in which case Iran threatens to close the Strait of Hormuz, interrupting 1/3 of the world's oil trade), I've begun to worry about how long I could operate if I couldn't buy gasoline tomorrow.

Have any of you planned for this possibility? As a precaution, I added a few extra gasoline cans to my collection, so I should be able to operate for at least one week past "empty" (the point at which I regularly refuel) or over two weeks from "full".

This "strategic petroleum reserve" would also let me weather a temporary price spike, like that immediately after 9/11 (on 9/12/01, the station down the street had unleaded for about $3/gallon--I'ld love to be "price-gouged" at that price now!).

Any thoughts? Do you think one week of gasoline is enough? Or am I paranoid? :laugh:
  2. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

Well that sounds good , but for one weeks worth of fuel, I would need at least 50 gallons... Thats alot of gas cans !! I can't worry about stuff like that... Live life day by day !!
  3. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

Considering that you can buy a 5-gallon gas can for about $5.50, even 50 gallons could be put on reserve for under $60 (for the cans. . . the gas itself is a little pricey), which is cheap insurance IMO compared to amount of money one could be out if one couldn't work for a few days or were forced to buy gas for a couple of dollars above "fair market".

It would be a pain to store that much gas and a bother to rotate the cans (I number mine, so the gas is never much over a month old).

Not worrying is probably a good policy, however. If you did put aside 50 gallons, you'ld probably have to worry about somebody stealing it (or it catching on fire!)!
  4. thompson_lawncare

thompson_lawncare LawnSite Member

Stocking up on gasoline isn't a smart idea, unless you plan on using it and replenishing it. One of my mechanics said that the additives that they put in gasoline will turn into a lacquer if not used within a month or two. He said that we should use it as fast as you can because the longer it sits the worse it is.
  5. HighlandLC

HighlandLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

Ditto. Need stabilizer.
    And Boy if you were ever cought storing that much gas, firemarshall would have ya by the nuts around here.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think you are being over paranoid. But I am sure they love to think that people like you are out there so they can justify their prices.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't do any good in my book, thou it does tend to give one a semi-cool 'survivalist' type of a feeling.
    The good news is since you have acquired the 'siphoning' sickness, it is mostly harmless, I know this.

But if we run out, I run out, you run out, everybody runs out, ok?
    Yeah, all right :p
  8. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I try not to worry about things like that, because ultimately, the good Lord will provide! I could last for 3 days on my regular gas fill up (my Scorpion and Scorpion FX, 5 gallon gas can, and 2 gallon mix gas can)
  9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee LawnSite Member

Well I am sick of hear Iran's president want raise price on barrel because our money's valve go down.

For me that gas would last for 1 month for small engine and 5 months for big engine like tractor or trucks will be be fine.

We have 10 gal of gas stay in our Ford tractor for 1 year it still start no problem. We alway put sea foam in there to prevent from bad.

If I live in country I would get tank that can hold 250 gals then call bulk supplier deliver gas for $2.50 each gal. They won't do for resident they will do for country or farmer. That what they told us.
  10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just sell your reserve fuel for a huge profit.

BTW Milwaukee, if you can find gas for $2.50/gallon today I'll buy it for you...dream on.