straw blower why so much? pto driven

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I am starting to get much larger seeding jobs. Not just small front yards or patch up jobs but i have one thats 3 acres i quoted the other day. How much is it to rent a straw blower?

My next worry is that, even if the yard isnt damp, how can i drive my 8k weight truck plus the trailer around a newly seeded lot without mashing in ruts?

I also considered using my smaller tractor pulling a small wagon along if i can get a skid type straw blower, so it doesn't damage the ground so much.

I looked up a PTO driven model, to buy, and its $3500-4k it seems. It weights almost 600lbs and does 1-2 bales per minute which is fine for me, im not using it all day or more than a couple hours tops.

Anyone have any other brands they've used or anything in a PTO drive? Is there anything i should be cautious of when buying one or a PTO driven unit vs a trailered unit? Im talking about a blue one made by GOOSEN.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure on what you ask,but there is a guy here that charges $8 bucks a bale to throw the stray he has a old piece of equipment itz more of a side job to him.
  3. never have used a pto driven one before, however I have a small Finn blower that you can hook up a hose to it and blow in tight places or across wet areas.
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

This area is wide open, but if im renovating the entire 3 acres, i cant take my truck and some big trailer on it....
  5. i would look at one with the gas engine, we have't had any problems with wet ground, as far as they shoot you can work around them.
  6. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have an agri-metal. i keep it mounted on a 14 foot trailer(wish i had an 18 but work with what you got right). i keep wider tires on my truck 265/75/16. i like to work the ground up some but not to much, i find that if you have it so lose that your truck causes bad ruts, it will wash away when the a rain event comes. when it comes to a 3 acrea i don't think that an inch deep rut is going be something that is really going to look bad or even be noticed. now keep in mind that if you go with a tractor mounted model, how are you going to get the straw to the blower???? still going to have to take a trailer out there so why not just use the truck. i don't think that anyone would carry the bales to the tractor to blow them. with the agri-metal i have a 50 foot hose so as long as the area is not over 140 feet wide i can usually reach across. also i keep a really long hose on mine so that on small yards i can back on the drive way and reach around the house and some times not have to leave the pavment. also have another 50 foot section in case i have a big down hill project