1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Straw blower

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Drew Gemma, May 6, 2006.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

When blowing in straw what do you get per bale? Trying to help come up with an idea for a friend. trying to show him that hydroseed is the best option.
  2. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i pay 3.00 for a bale of straw and charge 5 for the straw and 5 to blow it.
    so i pay 3 plus 2 men to run the blower and make 10

with my machine i can blow about 40 bales an hour so i make 400 and it cost me 120 in straw and 20 in labor so 140 total. so that is 260 an hour. and that is if i pick the straw up my self on the way to the site. but it is were i really make money on these yards.

the way i explain my pricing is that 1 man can only shake around 4-6 bales an hour and i charge 22 hour for just labors. so they are paying the same per bale but use less bales so they are saving money at this
  3. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we dont charge by bale but rather per sq. ft. depending on how many pounds per acre the job is requiring. hay has shot up crazy here in jersey now cuz of fuel. im paying like $4.00 a bale last year i was paying $3.00....
  4. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

I charge time the equipment left my place, to time I'm done on the job, and for each bale I charge 50% trans fee. A acre may take an two, so thats $65(*2)+ straw used.