1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Straw Blower

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Weedburner, May 24, 2006.

1. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

Been thinking about buying a straw blower. I live about 40 miles from the nearest rental place that has one. Any suggestions? I have a tractor so I could use a pto model.
  2. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a finn b70 kubota diesel. the thing is awesome, i wouldn't trade it for anything other than a bigger machine of course! lol if your not going to be doing a lot of blowing i'd get one of the smaller tail gate machines though. they do a lot of work as well and you can find one for a reasonable price. but if you think its something your going to get into get the biggest you can afford..
  3. I've got the Finn B-40 model, very pleased with it, Finn is a good quality company , check them out.
  4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I own this blower http://www.kmproductsofnc.com/strawBlower.htm
    It has a lot bigger blower fan than the TGMI tailgate mulchers and i consider it the next step below the Finn B70 but bigger than the B40. It is a pretty good compromise between the tailgate mulchers and the much larger machines, and still fit in the bed of a pickup truck. Mine will blow thru 100ft of hose with ease and I have never cloggged it even tho i try to force feed it as fast as i can. I bought the tray extention also, but have only used it once so I dont know if the extention is a necessity or just a convience. I have blown several hundred bales (more than a 1000 bales) thru my machine without any problems or breakdowns. We can do 100 bales an hour using the hose, I aint sure how many we could blow just using the turrent. It will blow approx 60-70 ft thru the turrent with excellent coverage out to 45 ft. the hose doesnt seem to make much difference in distance as it blowes close to those distances thru the 100 ft of hose. One modification I plan on makeing on my machine, it seems to blow better at lower rpms than it does wide open. I am considering reduceing the size of the pulley on the engine to reduce the fan speed, this would also increase the available power of the engine. Normally this isnt a problem with straw, but sometimes I blow hay and then the machine seems to be a bit under powered.