straw blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Branchland, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking into strw blowers. Just wondering who has one and the brand. Price too. I was thinking about one that could sit on the tailgate, if there is one like that.

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the world is a straw blower?

3. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

I think they blow bailed hay on road banks to keep the erosion down. I saw a huge one that took the big round hay bails and it would blow straw 40 or 50 feet maybe more used by a road crew in Alabama . Maybe they make smaller one also. If that is it.

4. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I believe they make smaller ones. I'm looking into them for grading jobs. Thinking it'll save time and make the straw look better.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A company in Joplin Mo has one...it's mounted in the bed of their truck and they pull a trailer full of straw. it makes a huge dusty mess.

6. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

I have a Goosen that is powered by a 13hp Honda motor. It has a thirty foot hose that is used to spread the straw. It will fit in the back of a pickup. It does a good job for small to mid size jobs. They cost around $3,500.00

John

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Try Finn , Bowie, TGMI, Renico, they all make tailgaite mulchers. Goosen is an alright machine but a little underpowered. The Finns, Bowies, Tgmi and Renico machines will cost close to $6000, some more some less. They are a step above the Goosen type machines.

Since your are in Winston Salem you can check out TriState distributors in Statesville, Take I77 south off I40 and exit on the third exit going toward Salisbury, they are located on your right about 1/4 mile from the Interstate.They have the Goosens in stock with the 25hp engines. You might like it better than one with the 13hp.
    TriState is a distributor not a dealer or retail store but with a little persuasion you can convince them to sell direct to you.

8. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

Mud is right, I'd go with a larger motor if you have a choice. The 13 hp does a good job but a larger motor would be nice.

John

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I got the goosen pto powered one, 33hp at the pto :D I've had nothing but good luck with it for the last 5 yrs. run about 2000 bales a yr through it and the only problem is the hose is about shot.

Mac

10. I have a Rienco TM-J strawblower, it is the so-called tailgate model. Maybe it could actually sit on the tailgate (wouldn't on my Chevy, a c-hair too tight with the spray on bedliner) but does sit accurately on two 2x6's fit into the sidewalls of a pickup bed. It will work with a six foot bed but an eight would be nicer, more room for straw. It has an 18hp Honda and I use it to spread straw on lawn installs. The chopped straw, in my opinion, does not blow off as readily as hand spread straw. The finished job looks better and it's a lot easier. I bought mine used, with 24 hrs on it, for two thou. Drove to N.Carolina to get it but didn't mind a bit, I loved every meal I ate in the south. We stopped at a 'Pork Store' in NC, no such animal in upstate NY, I was thrilled.