1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

straw coverage

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DBL, Sep 11, 2007.

1. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

on average how man square feet will a bale of straw cover put through a straw blower
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

its been a while but I think we used to use about 14 for an acre? They cover pretty well when blowing chopped straw.
  3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

14 bales per acre. Hmm. i havent used straw for 2 years since i have been hydroseeding but it varied so much depending on what farmer baled it. Some bales would go forevever and some quick.
  4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

most of the jobs we do are spec'd out at 2000 pounds per acre with is about 40 to 50 bales per acre depending on who bales the hay....
  5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

whoaa 14 bales vs. 40 to 50 bales thats a margin there
  6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

We've averaged about 1 square bale (String, not wire, about 50# bales) per 500 square feet when we've used a blower. Only two large lawn installs to reference, but after the first one, I was right on for the next one figuring this way.
  7. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have blowen about 10,000 bales in the last 2 years. so listen to what i say, there is no way to say. it all depends on the bale. with that beeing said, if you get them at lowes/home depot it will take 90-140 bales. if you get good bales that some old timer farmer baled you will be looking at 40-70. i had one guy that baled them so big and tight that they went forever. but from time to time i have to buy at lowes and i always have to go back for more cause they are so small. i mainly buy from farmers so that i get more for my money. most farmers get 2.50-3.50 per bale, where as the garden center/ home depot get 4.25+tax. so i get 4 times the straw for my money when i buy from the farmers.
  8. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Out here in ohio good bales from a local farmer and your looking at 40 per acre minimum when blown.

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

okay so maybe I am remembering wrong, it was almost 10 years ago. But we did get the bales from an old time farmer, heavy as heck, its also possible the yards weren't quite an acre. *trucewhiteflag*
  10. jrlandscaping781

jrlandscaping781 LawnSite Member

My experience has been a bale will cover 750 sq ft. I hate spreading that stuff. How much do you guys charge? I charge $8 a bale, the guy down the road charges $7. Just did a job today...windy, very messy job. I plan on purchasing a brillion seeder. I have been told that you don't need straw when using this type of seeder?