1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

straw for new lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lucky4511, Sep 16, 2009.

1. lucky4511

lucky4511 LawnSite Member

We are getting ready to seed a new lawn and I am not sure how much straw to purchase - is there a rule of thumb for coverage per bale of straw - the total square footage of the area to be seeded is right at 4900. Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I figure about 2 bales per 1000 square feet. I also found bales can vary greatly depending on size and tightness, but 2 per 1000 is a good starting point.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Be careful.

Make sure you get quality straw, or, go to an erosion supply house and purchase sterilized straw.

Use bad straw and your asking for weeds.
  4. About 1.5 bales per 1000 sq ft
    Should see ~ 50% of the soil

Should remove after grass germinates

Do you really need it? Not necessary if you can easily keep it moist!

Consider penn mulch or equivilent
  5. lucky4511

lucky4511 LawnSite Member

I am afraid we do need to do something - single working resident....I think he is going to have a hard time keeping it watered - no irrigation. Thought penn mulch was too expensive so straw it is. Again, thanks for the responses. We have done smaller areas, never an entire, although small, lawn area and didn't want to over buy, however, didn't want to have to make a return trip to finish.
  6. you will be fine using the straw.