Straw mulching charge per sq. ft.????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Indydirtfarmer, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

I just bought a Finn straw blower. (used) Up 'till now, we would always hand spread straw on grading jobs. (Slow, labor intensive, hot, and MISERABLE) I've got 10 different bids on the table right now for grading around new pools, a few new homes, and various other jobs. Some are relatively small jobs. A few are 5 to 10,000 sq. ft. A couple are several acres. All specify straw cover after seeding.

How do you charge for such a service. (I estimated # of bales, then had a flat fee for providing AND spreading before) That same system will still work, but my "new way of doing things" has me wondering about a new way of estimating....

Thanks in advance.
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

John, the first thing you need to do is determine the life expectancy of the blower, divided by the actual cost , and then figure maintenance, etc.. to get a true operating cost of the blower. Then add in your desired hourly rate, and all the other goodies.... this is just to give you an idea of where to start. If you know how much a piece of equipment actually costs you, it's much easier to depreciate and build equity for a replacement in X years.Remember, just because you can now do the job faster, doesn't mean to lose money by not charging the full value of what the service market will bear in your area. You will really like the results much better with a blower, and find that you will actually use less product in the process, putting more $$ in your pocket.