straw

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fastcat, Feb 27, 2008.

1. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

after slit seeding should you spread straw on the bare areas. basicly to keep the starter fert from washing away.

2. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

No Straw! It grows in a field along with a bunch of weeds. You will introduce weed seeds and other unwanted grasses into the lawn.

3. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

straw is ok to use. It is hay you don't want to put on lawns. Hay and straw are both different from each other. Hay has weeds and grass in it that can cause problems when planting grass.

4. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Straw is used to retain moisture and stabilize the soil. In order for it to be effective it must be crimped into the soil.

5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

or use a tackifier to hold it together..

6. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

Do what you want , but putting straw down is not as effective as you think. I used to believe that it was and put it down every time. Then I asked the owner of the company that I buy my seed from and he said, "when are you guys going to learn, stop putting straw down. It grows in a field along with weeds." Every time that I used to put it on bare places I would get some type of undesirable grasses shoot ting up Dallas Grass, Johnson Grass.......
    I stopped putting it down on the bare places and nothing but beautiful green Fescue comes up. :hammerhead:

8. Mark Bogart

The use of straw also has a lot to do with what part of the country your from. Where I live - 7000'-10,000' in elevation you need some sort of cover to keep new turf seed from drying out. At this altitude you're a whole lot closer to the sun. The humidity here is also very low so anything you can do to provide moist conditions is helpful. I used to grow-in golf courses and straw mulch was a major tool in that process.

9. agreed, but for people to say it invites in weeds I don't buy, farmers I deal with if you told them their straw had weeds in it you would be missing teeth, people have not been out in wheat fields and know how its grown and taken care of. For people to say the straw brings in weeds in a lawn, what do you think was growing there before.

10. Mark Bogart

Isn't that the truth. I don't care what part of the world your trying to grow turf on, weed seed is present everywhere. Even if you fumigate the soil to kill seed heads, over time they will be back. As long as your turf is healthy weeds will not be a problem. The straw I use is from barley, grown locally. Clean stuff especially if used right after they combine the barley.