straw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plowboy81, Jun 15, 2003.

1. plowboy81

plowboy81 LawnSite Member

I live in NC. We use wheat straw. I really can get it for $3.00 per bale but I figured that would really make you guys ask questions. If you put seed down, you had better use straw or something or it WILL NOT grow, believe me.

This was suppose to go with the "help with raking and seeding"

2. we have a lot of wheat field around here $1.50 per bale.

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i take all of the pine straw i remove and run it thru a friends square baler--bale of straw=$0

4. plowboy81

This post was originally suppose to be a reply, but since your here I'll ask. Is that $1.50 if you get it out of the field or is that already up in the barn? I also farm, but I don't cut wheat. The farmers I know sale it to me for $1.75 if I get it up. I really don't have the space to stock up. Another guy sales it ot me for $2.00 per bale until he has no more because I always help him get it up for free.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, I NEVER use straw...you inject the possibility of weeds with the new seed. Best thing we do is core aerate and immediately broadcast the seed over the aerated area (and add in some starter fert as well). Works every time.:D

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto what RodFather said:)

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i agree plowboy. straw spread properly,
    double in the seed and plant at the proper time. i dont guarantee a stand,as thats just not the way i learned to do it.
    no predicting mother nature. but im almost that sure ,and i dont have problems with much weed seed in wheat straw. but a caution , what works here wont necessarily work a hundred miles n or s of my area. i just know my area and i guess thats the name of the game.

8. plowboy81

AWm,

Sounds to me like the norhtern boys do things differently than us rednecks. There is no way I can get grass to grow down here w/o putting down straw. Maybe it is so much hotter here than up there. I guess seeding up north all year is like us seeding in the fall. Maybe that is the difference.

9. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to sound stooopid :blush: But what is pine straw?

10. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I thought hay or straw for $1.50 per bale is what horses and cattle eat? I was told that salt hay (grown in salt marshes) costs roughly $15 per bale. Shredded straw also goes for about $8 or $12 per bag. I can go to my nursery and double check that tomorow.

Turf Medic- Pine straw is what we northerners (Yankees in southern terminology) refer to as pine needles. They for some reason, don't ask me why... put it down in their planting beds in place of mulch a lot of times. :rolleyes: