Streaks in Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by River Hill, May 11, 2000.

1. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys experince streaks in your lawns when cutting thick or tall grass? I sometimes experice this on my Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48". It seems the streaks are where the blades meet, that little 1/4" area. I don't have this problem with my Metro 36" . I was just wondering if others are having the same problem with their mowers and any way to prevent it.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you using manufacturer blades or aftermarket? I have noticed many aftermarket blades are a little off-spec (i.e. shorter) from the manufacturer's vblades. This little bit times two makes a larger gap between the blades. If not, try slowing down.

3. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

Yeah i have this damn problem and it pisses me off cause i have to go back and cut it again. I use the manufac. blades for it. you guys have any tips.<br>Dingo

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I run any blade I can find cheap on my CHOPPERS and have never experienced this. HMMMMM could it be.............nevermind!<p>Homer

5. lawnnut

lawnnut LawnSite Member

Homer who uses grey Dixons<br>Have you picked up any rain yet.<br>Brians e-mail exmark they have been pretty good about getting back in past<br>

6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

How pld are the blades? After sharpening several times you will lose some of the length. I tossed a set today!

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Dull blades+grass under deck+high grass=streaks. The exmark has only 1&quot; overlap, high grass will cause two stripes, where the outside blades overlap the center blade, keep blades sharp, deck clean, and dont take off so much between cuttings. Oh yeah, you can always double-cut!<p>Bill

8. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

It is the tip speed + power, my 50 gravely 18 hp does this in tall grass, but the 25hp toro z 62's never do, complete acurate cut. most of the time I can even cut at 9 mph on an open section, cutting perfectly, no joke!! CLEAN CUT, NOT RIPPED.

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

NO, NOT ONE SINGLE DROP OF RAIN IN OVER 2 WEEKS............HIGH TODAY WAS 98! TIMES RUNNING OUT..................<p>HOMER

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Walker with 42GHS and the blades overlap by an inch and the same thing happens to me in wet heavier grass if I go too fast. I'm sure that the blades arent as sharp as they should be too.