Stream Around Mature Weeping Cherry

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by dfherrera, May 17, 2007.

1. dfherrera

dfherrera LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried to build a stream around a mature weeping cheery tree? I want to construct one for my pond but am worried about the roots. I was thinking about a concrete waterway but then started thinking that it would not be flexable enough for the tree. Would using a liner work better?

I want to completely surround the tree so it is an island and the water flows around both sides. I only want about a 3 foot diameter around the trunk.

Thanks

Dan

2. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

How is the cherry going to get water and nutrients. Sounds like you might be cutting these vitals off with your stream.

3. dfherrera

I use fertilzer spikes that I hammer in the groud by the base so that should be ok. As for watering, I think it will still get enough with the three foot diameter circle around the trunk. We water the garden each day so I am hoping this will not be a problem.

Thanks

4. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I am concerned about your tree. how long has it been there. The majority of a trees fibrous roots are clear out by the dripline of the trees foliage. There are very few roots on a mature tree by the trunk. If you do much excavating on all sides of the tree it will surely die. Maybe a year or two.

If however it is a recently planted tree you are okay. A flexible EPDM rubber pond liner is your best bet for waterfalls tree or no tree. Last forever and easy to use.

Good luck.

5. dfherrera

Venturewest;

Thank you for the information. The tree has been there about seven years so I think I will adjust my plan and onlygo to one side of the tree a little farther out. Maybe I can add soil on top and not excavate down too far. I only need about a few inches of depth for the "stream".

Thanks again

6. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like a good idea. I bet that is a pretty tree. How big is a weeping cherry? The nurseries sell some little weeping snow cherries here in oklahoma but I have only seen them as small patio trees. It is a little bit warm here.

I was going to ask if you have a good dealer for liner in your area. If not there is a good one online called Pond Pro Shop. They are actually an hour from me and they are a big wholesaler and retailer. You can probably get a good price on liner from them and anything else you might need.