Street Lamps

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by JimLewis, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Color casting in photos can be extremely difficult to overcome in photography. If you take bracket white balance shots, you can layer in photoshop, and overcome some of the problems.
    Also, ,most municipalities have ordinances against light trespass. If you can get the homeowner to complain (sometimes they have to complain lots!), usually you can have something done, although, even then, as Bernie mentioned, the solution is not always ideal. I complained to my municipality that the street light in front of my home was shining into my kids bedroom....they put duct tape on it!! I subsequently moved (not because of the street light), so didn't follow up on it. But, I have been on the receiving end of by-law enforcement more than once on light trespass issues when designing parking lot and roadway lighting...when pushed, they usually will act.

John Higo

2. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

This is definitely a problem and I applaud those that complain to their municipalities though it seems often to be ineffective.

Regarding photoshoots. I have quite a bit of experience with this.

First, it's very difficult to color correct for HPS light in photoshop - but not impossible.

Second, on several occaisions I've used black foil to cover these lights on photoshoots and black gaffer tape to secure the foil to the fixture. I keep both items in my photo case at all times.

By the way, I also use the gaffer tape to block unwanted carriage and entry lights when needed. This tape is designed for attaching to hot lights and doesn't leave a sticky residue.

Of course, it's not easy to get up to the light to put the foil in place. Be prepared and have a long ladder ready. But be very careful, balancing a ladder against a pole can be disasterous! Don't do it unless you have two strong people holding the base. Even then, I don't (for the record) recommend it. How about a cherry picker or scissor lift - much better.

Here's a neat trick that Duncan Fuller (of CAST) came up with - attach a long string to your foil shield so when you're done, you can pull the string and the shield pops off!

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Good tips. Thanks

4. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

if it's post lights, 12-14ft high a rug has worked for us, if it's a pole light with glass lense around it, steves idea has worked for us, if its a pole light with a cupped lense...those are more difficult to cover temporarily but they are usually not as big of an issue because they are using the lense to direct the light. on occasion we have been able to locate the photo cell, illuminate it, and get the light to turn off long enough to get the shot.

5. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a metal trash can painted flat black, temporarily for a photo shoot before. The trash can worked to make the photo cell turn the light off. I have also used a rug too.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Use a cloth tarp attached to a swimming pool leaf skim and vac pole.

You guys with the ladders and tape are lucky not to have been locked up, street lights are for public safety.
    Posted via Mobile Device