STRESS... do I like my job?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by scraper69, May 29, 2007.

1. scraper69

scraper69 LawnSite Senior Member
    from mi

I am starting to hate this field lately. I dont know why. Everyday, I just dread going to work. I have had alot of curveballs thrown my way in the last few months, and I think that possibly could be making me hate working.
    Nothing seems to be going right this year. Anyone ever have a year like this. LOTS of major changes, and bad help, lost work, etc...

I need some vacation time already.

2. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

LET THE GAMES BEGIN :weightlifter: too early to really hate the job :dizzy: :cry: not 100 degrees outside in the shade yet that is when I hate this job cheer up and think postive it will get better . Try to hang in there this season the if you feel the same way next season then do something else but just remember that it does nt matter what you do you are going to have them days where the old song of Johhny Paycheck fits like a glove 'TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT

3. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

This would be a good time to step back and evaluate. See where you are at, see where the biz is at, see where everything is pointed.

Don't make changes in this state but take notes. When you get out of your funk flip back through the notes and evaluate then.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I feel this way from time to time, in fact quite often. The feeling gets worse as my business grows. The main thing that keeps me from selling is that I make a decent living. Dropping customers that are completely unreasonable also helps a bit. You just have to see where your at. I just feel like my business has come WAYYY too far for me to walk away now. " just hang in there alittle while long and see what the ends gonna be"

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in the same boat, I made some mistakes but it's not all my fault, and we get the blues, which at least to me and in my case is also a sign of a slow and maybe rough year ahead. So it is thou, so be it, I have to accept I can not win them all, I would like to, but I'm ok with that, plus I had two pretty good years just prior, it's not so bad it just all kinda evens out is all it is.

And I think it's like that with every job thou, we all get like that from time to time... Usually when I get like this I just kinda go through the motions for some time, running a minimal 'fuel only' affair helps, too. Sure maintenance gets done, but nothing wild and whacked out, just kinda blah stuff, one day and one lawn at a time.

If it makes you feel any better, I can't even afford to drop a pita customer if I wanted to right now lol but I do hang on to my money real tight, supplies too, just in case I have to weather things out for a longer while.

Here's the thing thou: To really make out in this crazy business, you got to hang tight through the tough parts so that when things improve, you're in place and ready to take it on. Otherwise we just chase the wild geese like the storm chasers... Unfortunately, being there the exact moment the good times finally hit does mean dealing with the not so good cards that fall in between, but take the good and the bad, it's all it is.

Soon you'll be out of it, you just never know but hang in there man, it gets better, soon, I just don't know when but one day, I sure had a good time while it lasted thou, it'll be awrite.

6. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Things will smooth out if YOU make them. After basically being rained out the entire month of January, the last few months I have felt like I was so far behind the curve just playing catchup and being forced to react as opposed to being proactive - it was driving me nuts. Finally said this is enough, had a meeting with everyone, said we are going to work weekends, get caught-up, get organized and stay that way. After a grueling month, things are back under control, stress is down and outlook is good. I also constantly focus on eliminating things that are a pain in my arse - customer, employee or piece of equipment - doesn't matter; if it's taking away from me focusing on my business and growing it - adios. Honestly, it takes a certain mentality to own and run a business - for me it is a "failure is not an option" attitude. You have made it this far, time to kick it up a notch and take it to the next level - bueno suerte.

7. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

We all probably feel this way from time to time. This year I have my all time high of 120+ accts. I make a good living,but the taxes are so high. Also, you have to put money out to pay your help,then bill at the end of the month. Right now i feel like gettin' out,but where else can i make 2000/wk? the stress is deifinately there. I say ride it out until the winter then re-evaluate

8. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

There are , unfortunately , few people who love what they do , all day every day . You probably have a substantial investment in time and resources that you would be ill-advised to walk away from without some longer term soul searching.