1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stress how do you guys deal with it

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I think I'am having some stress related problems and its driving me nuts. It is starting with jaw pain. I had some dental work done 3 months ago and it doesn't seem to be healing because I'am clenching my teeth. Not getting full night sleep and feel tired.

The first problem is I can't get sick we only have 2 people as trained staff that work as spares. One of them is retiring this year the other spare isn't available all the time. Nobody wants to work part time so we can't find anybody to work. I can't even ask for a extra day off I won't get it I probably won't even get hollidays this year. On my days of work I have to get to work if I don't show up its a mad scramble to find a replacement.

The 2nd problem the public is driving me nuts with non stop complaining how we are operating the company. I'am getting so tired of cranky people and people that don't obey directions. Tell them to do one thing they do the oposite. Nobody reads signs like things No Access or no entry they just walk around the sign :angry:

The 3rd problem management is pushing us and we get questioned on everything.

I haven't started to loose my hair yet but on my days off I'am so wiped I don't do anything. The job isn't physically demanding it is mentallly demanding.

I was doing some site hauling for a local business I have been helping to install a recreational park the other day before I go to my other job. You know it releived some stress driving that old gravel truck. I got about 280 tons of material moved in about 5 hours.

I don't know how long I'am going to last with the gov't job. People say its a good job. Walk in my shoes and see what its like. The new person that we got hired can't beleive the stupid stuff that people do. People seem to be getting more brain dead.

The job is full time which is the only thing going for it I would rather be working in the dirt or driving truck but there isn't full time work in that now. Could have stuck it out with the contractor I worked for but I got tired of the slave driving. I got the work done by 2 people put on me.

Right now I'am the point of snapping and getting cranky. Its the constant complaints that people have and I can't do anything about it, its out of my hands I'am just a employee.

When I started with the gov't 5 years ago the job was fun now there is no fun you don't look forward to go to work. You count the days to days off.

Well I got to go to bed I may get 6 hours of sleep tonight :laugh:

2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask your dentist about an NTI/TSS bite guard for the clenching. READ HERE. They have a very informative site with some video interviews and a podcast that are well worth viewing. My dentist tried for a couple years to get me to see I needed one and I kept putting it off. I was not having much TMJ pain yet but constant headaches and dental issues. I finally got one this spring. You will feel much better in the mornings and dealing with the stress will become easier. It will allow you to get more restful sleep without applying so much pressure at your jaws, and allow you neck and jaw muscles, which even wrap around your skull, to stay in a more relaxed state when you do clench, resulting in less headaches and neck pain. As I say, I got one fitted spring of this year and the headaches dropped drastically. Mornings were no longer like I had been out drinking the night before or got hit by a truck. Neck/shoulder pain and nerve problems in my neck and arms as a result of the all night tension my muscles were under from clenching/grinding are gone unless I forget to put it in at night. I was blaming the headaches on food allergies and actually they were a result of them but largely due to the clenching they cause. The arm and neck nerve problems - I blamed on running the walkbehind and trimmer/edger. I am much better able to use the equipment without it causing problems now. I am only up right now because I forgot to wear it tonight and woke up with neck pain (waiting for an aspirin to kick in). There are other issues that can result from bruxism, that may make more dental work necessary, so I feel you should check into it. Abfraction is where the enamel gets chipped off of the base of your teeth at the gumline due to the bruxism. That can cause sensitivity. Your bite can also be changed over time and require adjustments by grinding high spots down, to help realign things. Teeth can be chipped and cracked, jaw pain, and tinnitus are other possible problems.

I wont pretend to have the answers to the other problems you mention with the bushiness and customers. That stuff will likely always be there to some degree. Once you are able to get a good night's rest though, and reduce the clenching, I think you will be amazed at how much easier those stresses are to handle.
    Good Luck with it all.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I'am not that far that I get neck and shoulder pain or headaches. I have been trying to go to bed relaxed and not drink any caffiene or eat anything. I also read sleeping with your tounge between your teeth works.

The dentist said I should have a mouth guard but when he said how much it costs :eek:

I'am also a dental gagger I had to be knocked out to fix my back teeth. My dental bill was 1300 dollars man dentists are expensive lucky my dental benefits paid for that. But I pretty well burned up my dental benefits for 2 years.

The biggest stress for me is people nattering at you all the time some days I want to say to these people bugger off. The guy I replaced said he couldn't take the people complaining all the time he had stress related problems too.

4. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I started having the same problem last week. I am starting to build a new house and closed on the land so I feel you. I also had a swelling in my throat. It's a mild anxiety attack. Relax, breathe, and booze. That's this doctors prescription.

5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

We all have stress. One of the things I do to diminish that beast is humor. I watch comedy on the boob tube, go to a comedy show.......anything to get a good belly laugh goin' on....

6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Take a day off, do something you love to do. I just got back from a motocross race, saw lots of old friends, drank some beer. I feel like a million bucks right now.

7. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think going to tractor pulls/street diesel pickup pulls is what I enjoy doing in my spare time.

8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

You need to hit the Ballet and have a few Blues!:cool2: :drinkup:

9. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Relaxing hurts me. I think of the crap I have to go put up with and I want to close the business in my area and move it. I hate northern VA with a passion but its where the money is. Pay my dues a few years and I'm out of here.

What I used to enjoy most was when I was doing Muy Thai and Jujitsu........just take it out on the other guy :)

10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Never done Muy Thai....done alot of Mai-Tai, and that always was a stress reliever. GR: another way to reduce stress is to have a plan and goals.........that makes the small stuff remain small stuff.