Stressed on a ruined market!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by McVey Landscaping, Apr 9, 2008.

1. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping LawnSite Member

The market around my area was really good and paying well. A new lawn company had just started this year bidding on everything. Let me tell you I don't see how he is going to make any money, or have the time to do all the work he has recieved(solo operator). A few of my customers jumped ship and went with this new company American Lawn Care. These were $95.00 yards he is doing for $30.00. Can't wait to see his work. Anyway I know several threads have been posted about lowballers, just had to put my fingers to work to relieve a little stress. :usflag:

2. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

cut your costs, chop your spending and lowball him back. :D

3. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

slash his tires.

4. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

ceases to amaze me how these guys can do a 95 buck lawn for 30 bucks , they are all over just not your area

5. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

I just posted somethin like this somewhere else. Lost a bid on FULL DAY job, a large park, winning bid was $80. Another church i believe was 3 acres, and i think the winning bid was $25.

6. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Some illegals will work all day for $80.00. Gotta vote ... and hope that we get some politicians in there that will do something with our borders!

Going to live and work here, be legal and speak our language!!!

Other then that ... me prejudice? Not a bit!!!
    :usflag:

7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had some lowballer in my area as well. He got 4 of my accounts for about a month. He screwed up the yards pretty bad, scalp marks, knocking bark off of trees, and must have been mowing some really bad yards as well because all of these yards had a bunch of weeds growing. I got them all back but at a higher rate and then sold additional work to fix what he screwed up. You never know, your former customers may call you back. I would raise their rate for leaving you in the first place.

8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

thats career suicide. no way anyone can stay in business working that cheap.

9. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Thats just plain STUPID STUPID STUPID mowing 3 acres for 25 bucks , that guy ought to be shot plus who ever hired him out to be slapped up the side of the head for being stupid also lets see prob burn about what say at least 3 gallons of fuel so thats 10 to 12 bucks right off the top so leaves 15 bucks so hes working for about 7. 50 hr if he dont pay taxes on the money he makes now if he pays taxes and insurance hes paying them to mow lol

10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Did these accounts ask for a re-bid on your part or just drop ya? Also you stated that this is a new lawn care company - one guy or the hole nine yards with new trucks, trailers, shop etc?

I feel your pain - I really do. Been there and don't like it. This year the gloves were off for us as well. My competitiors that don't seem to like us - unless they need info - I stopped at there accounts. Now I know how low I can go to run the mowing business and that is what were doing with some of these accounts.

In fact, last year lost 2 - 50 plus acres of mowing to one new guy. Were doing one of these account this year. Bad news - the other there taking in house but moral is hang in there - maybe 1-3 years b/f it all comes full circle!