Stressful business so far!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Jul 28, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I have only been doing it this summer but Ive already noticed that people dont take me seriously. Say the money will be under the mat and Im left making a second trip back that way, way to often!
    I was thinking about putting everyone on a monthly billing cycle. is this the answer or Should I just call everyone the night before to let them know? I am getting really sick of it. its not just one person either!
  2. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

A monthly billing cycle may be the answer you are looking for. However, before beginning, speak with your customers/clients and with a degree of diplomacy let them know about the new billing method.

By allowing payment to be placed under the mat you have set the norm for how you get paid and this is why I suggest the diplomacy.
  3. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Yesit can be helpful to ring the night before and remind the forgetfuls, saves double tripping for the money at a later date.

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

My accounts are billed on the first of the month due by the tenth of the month late on the fifteenth of the month ,with a late charge figured in 2.5% of balance or cut off at that time. I mail statement either regular mail or via Internet on 28th or the 30 th.

Yes in a sense they are paying in advance to some degree, or figure it this way , if they are going to stiff you on it would be for , 2 weeks not 4 weeks. You are in fact lessening the risk you take.Some customers I had to go too and explain that your check goes for this bill.:usflag:
  5. stevenf

I suppose commercial accounts are always bills. correct?
  6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

You should send monthly invoices. I also send out all of my invoices on the first and have yet to have a customer over 30 days past due. Also, monthly billing will get you on your way to establishing a legitimate business.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

My guess would be part of it, is your age. Some people will not take the high school kid seriously, no matter how professional your image. They just see you as the neighborhood kid cutting grass.
    I'd say start of the next month (august), send out a letter to your customers and tell them that you will be switching them all to monthly bililng. Also make sure you give them a due date, when their payment must be made.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't count on monthly billing solving your problem.....some people just put lawn guy on bottom of list.
  9. Mike821

Mike821 LawnSite Member

Simple.....go to the home and look for the loot first. No cut. They will smarten up real fast. I did this when I was a kid starting out. I only did this to the people who forgot frequently.
  10. stevenf

I know my age does have some what of an effect on it. I am 19 and dont look to young but still not old enough for respect.
    Its not just the money issue either..... sometimes Ill call when there not home and its "OH!!! I didnt know you were coming today!!!"...... I am going to be here every wednesday!...... "Well Now I know that".
    Either they play stupid or they really are because the day I meet with them for the first time, I tell them specifically what services I do. When they agree, I give them a day and time of the following week that I will start cutting there yards. My first question to them is Do you want it kept up every week?..........