Stressful issue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenedge, Aug 18, 2004.

1. greenedge

greenedge LawnSite Member

I have been mowing for 1 year now. I started the last year of college. Now that I have a degree in Computer Networking my wife wants me to quit and get a"RealJob".
    She keeps saying, what will happen if something happens to you? I 'd rather keeping building my business. But in Dec my school loans start getting paid back. That is going to be expensive. Any bright ideas?

2. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Part time weekend mowing. always an option. Just cut back a little... always worth it to get the benifets from you other job. Unless you are doing well enfough to purchase them on your own.

3. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I would do what you enjoy, screw that "real job" crap! If your making a living, earning what you want, and enjoy your "job," than that is the thing you should be doing!

4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Excellent reply....

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

greenedge,

There's never a "good" time to go full-time. There will always be something holding you back. If you feel the time is right, just go for it. My buddy has a part-time computer biz, always wanting to take it to the next level, but its "never the right time". There's always risks involved with self-employment, but the rewards can be many.

6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a godd idea to start with....

7. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Greenedge , how much do networkers make. If it is more then 50 gs per year, I would do the computer thing and do lawns on the side.

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Green, IF I were YOU, I would sit down and seriously consider your financial goals in life...

Better yet, read a book called " Rich Dad, Poor Dad " by Robert Kiyosaki.. It will change your life.. I PROMISE.. In fact, read every book you can of his..

I started my LCO, because I knew I was weak in my personal skills/ sales ability. I knew this business would be sink or swim, But I genuinely enjoy working outdoors and getting exercise. Not saying I want to HAVE to Mow for a living, I will though until I have cultivated my business to the point that I can hire a professional biz manager to oversee the day to day operations of my LCO, giving me the time, and income ( from my LCO ) to invest in other investments/ businesses.. There is no way I'd ever be able to earn the amount of income I desire working as an employee for someone else..
    Maybe school is the correct path for you, but that is a decision that you and ONLY you can decide. Either way, don't sell yourself short..God bless you man, and I hope you consider everything affecting you before you make a decision..

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you really need to sit down and figure out everything finanical with the wife. You have to think, you are not only taking care of yourself, but her as well. What would happen if you did get hurt? My personal opinion on the matter is just do it part time right now and perhaps please your wife with another job in your related degree. If you get big, then hire people on to do the work

10. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

It really is a personal decision.

I worked for IBM, XEROX, and Honeywell when I was right out of college, and I absolutely hated it. Corporate politics really suck.

That being said, there are a lotta bene's working for someone else. Profit sharing, benefits, retirement, etc.

When you work for yourself...you gotta plan and budget for these things...and many don't do it right away cuz they can't afford it. However, if you do it successfully, it can be well worth it.

It's an extremely personal decision, and every situation is different. Will take a lotta soul searching and planning to make the right one for yourself.

Welcome to apres-college life :)