Strictly Commercial??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by splatz100, Jul 20, 2005.

1. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody out there doing 100% commercial properties and not messing with the residentials?? It seems like that is the direction I want to go.

1. You can get in there early, no body sleeping on those main stream roads 2. I'm guessing that payment comes easily(that is just an observation)
    3. You can use much bigger machines(most of the time)
    4. Not as much PITA's(but I know they're still out there)
    5. More time on the jobsite, not using $2.25 gas going around town all day

Can someone steer me in the right way, I know that there are pro/cons of each way. I seem to think that I am thinking one sided.

2. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

i would think that there wouldent be as many out there and a lot more liablilty involved if something goes wrong...
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not to turn you off, but in my business I am ALWAYS twice as likely to get skru'd by another business owner. I'm almost to the point where I'll refuse to work for any business owner even at their residence (for a while, I even did).
    I'm not sure why they do it thou I'd have to guess they know the bit of truth about if they don't pay, there really ain't much I can do about it.
  4. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I guess I just assumed it would be easier to get it from businesses, but they got alot more bills stacked above mine.

To me it just seems easier(but I'd like to hear otherwise)...
  5. topsites

To each his own, personally if you prefer to deal with businesses then I think it might have its benefits as well. For one, it may not be as short-term as residential... Not to say all residential accounts are fly-by-night, but a few certainly are where I would think a business account is somewhat more likely to last 5, 10 or 15 years.
    Now I'll get outta here, let someone with more experience in the business arena fill you in :)
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

For me it's important to keep a good mix across the board.
    That goes for residential and commercial as well as small properties and large properties.

There is a hint of comfort in diversification for me.
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, diversification is the key. Commercials are better overall though.
    I haven't dealt with small business yet so I can't comment on them. I do a corporation with convenience stores and the payment is on time and nobody pesters me while I'm working. I also do some work for the state. Just started that contract this month. It's an annual contract but, it can be extended twice if I make the engineer happy.
    I like the commercials because nobody wants to talk for 30 minutes when you're done.
  8. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

You need deeper pockets for commercial. I do 90% commercial/multi home/or industrial. Still waiting for some snow money yet, let alone landscape $, then they want to know why they haven't been mulched/pruned, just had grass cut. Most are good though, but residentials in general pay faster & are more loyal as far as price, commercial will drop you for a lower price in a second, no matter the service you provide.
  9. topsites

Ok now THAT makes a lot of sense, you are correct: 60 - 90 days wait is normal, and 180 days is not unusual.
    I think perhaps that's where ppls start with this 'we didn't get paid' thing thou it would frustrate me as well, I must admit.