Strictly lawn maintenance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 15, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Anybody that offers strictly lawn maintenance and no landscaping installation, how do you get by? Do you like it better that way? Less hassle, stress?

Do you ever want to go into installation or if you were in installation how come you got out of it?

2. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

well like any business when you add more services you have to anticipate more headaches , i say go for the gold and take on most tasks offered to my company and what jobs i dont know how to do or dont have the equipment for i still take on because equipment is cheap and pays for itself. its also a good learning experience. Or ya could just subcontract

3. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I do strictly lawn maintenance. I'm a full time student at UF so its nice to keep things simple and easy to schedule. I also work solo and don't have the time for involved projects. The money in lawn maintenance isn't too bad.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

For me strictly lawn maint. is the way to go. It's very predictable and routine that's what I like. To get by you just have to have volume. When the grass is growing you have to get it while you can, and keep your overhead low.

5. dog245

dog245 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I am one who strictly does lawn maintenance. Being part-time, if you could call it that, I want to do one service and do it right. I do sub out installations but you have to be real careful who you use because they still represent you. Also, some out there will stab you in the back and try to get it all. Which is a chance you take when you don't offer the whole package. All in all I've been pretty lucky with who I've recommended because they give me as many jobs as I give them.

6. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

We do only maintenance. I like to ride on my mower and walk behind everything else. My machines do everything and I feel like that saves my body a little bit more. I like knowing that I have a steady supply of money coming in instead of looking for work all the time.

7. sgl41377

sgl41377 LawnSite Member

I advertise lawn maitenance and will do installs for existing customers I just dont advertise installations. did i say that right

8. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I do mostly lawn and landscape maintenence. It has worked well for me, and with the volume I am attaining in the maintenence category, I would be hard pressed to find the time for larger installation type work without adding the expense of employees and moving out of the garage and into a shop. I have done a few small landscape and hardscape installs, but it is not something I am ready to get into on a large basis.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Real good questions and a real good subject I've been meaning to discuss here for a long time.
    So pardon me, as I might be about to kick a steaming 'pile'.

Personally, I find full service to be more personally fulfilling, more enjoyable, and more my pace so long as I am not overloaded.

However, financially speaking, as the times continue to change, I find that the less of the extras I do and the more I focus on the regular weekly maintenace, mowing and so forth, the more money I actually make.... when the extras remain just that.... extras.... to be done in addition to the regular schedule. OT if you will.

So what I'm saying is, for those people who say there is no money in mowing...
    I say either you are not doing something right or you are not sharp enough at the 'back office' end of the business to realize the error of your own assumptions about your own business.

Now, excuse me while I get a running head start on the torch party... LOL

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree with you Envy. Additional work always comes after the lawn maintenance for me as well. The lawn maintenance is on a tighter schedule compared to other servces, at least it is for me.